Dead Decklink Quad 2

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

stevereaver

Dead Decklink Quad 2

PostTue Nov 01, 2016 8:50 am

I need a bit of help diagnosing a possible Dead Decklink Quad 2 card which I bought new only about 1 month ago. Today when I turned on the system that contains the card (Windows 10 64bit) and as the desktop started I got a popup message saying something like 'the Firmware update has failed', I dismissed the message and thought nothing more of it.

I then immediately started vMix and after about 30 seconds the system cold booted itself. Which was very strange as I have had this system going strong for about 3 weeks, as it is a new PC build and I have been burning it in. Then after the system restarted I can check Device Manager and see the card (all 8 ports) in there, however when I start the Desktop Video Utility it says 'No Desktop Video Device Detected'

I have tried the following to try and get it to work.
- Removed all PCI-E cards (except video)
- Swapped video and Decklink card PCI-E ports
- Tried Decklink card in another computer (which was just freshly built)
- Tried Decklink card in a Linux computer (which show same issue, lspci will show the device however Desktop Video Utility does not detect it)
- Downgraded drivers to 10.7 (the version that shipped with the card)
- Tried previous version of drivers 10.8.1

None of this has helped.

I am using version 10.8.2 of Desktop Video, I have the lasted video drivers and I have the latest system bios. I have also tried disabling unused system peripherals to free up PCI-E lanes, still no good.

I know that at least a few of the video inputs actually work as I can connect up a camera to two of the SDI ports and see them in Media Express. Media express seems to see 4 ports assigned as inputs however 2 of them are greyed out. However without being able to run Desktop Video Utility I am unable to assign the inputs/outputs.

My 2 cents is that I think the card is fried, a fault has developed on it possibly causing one of the DSPs to die thus only half of it is working, this is probably what also cause the cold reboot to occur.

Mathijs Zondernaam

Re: Dead Decklink Quad 2

PostWed Nov 09, 2016 9:05 pm

The message about the failed update was not for the Decklink quad 2.
I installed these drivers to a system today, and had the same thing happening.
The message I got was that the ultrastudio 4k needed a firmware upgrade.
I do not own a Ultrastudio 4K, so there wasn't one connected.
The result after denying the upgrade, was the same. A Decklink quad 2, that does not show up in the desktop video config utility, but works in the standard 4 in, 4 out configuration.
I think your card is not dead, but BMD has to fix a bug in the drivers.

Shane French

PostSun May 21, 2017 6:09 am

Is there a solution for this? Exact same problem!

Nothing I try will get the card back. It appears in Hardware Manager, but not in Desktop Video Setup or anything else.

10.9 will not install at all. Fails and "rolls back." 10.8.6 installs, but doesn't fix the issue.

I too got the "Upgrade Ultrastudio 4k" firmware message before this happened.

Victor Zhuravlyov

PostMon Sep 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Dear Blackmagic developers!
I use Decklink Quad 2 (desktopvideo 10.9.5 on Debian 8) and still no luck!
test@debian:~$ sudo BlackmagicFirmwareUpdater status
0: /dev/blackmagic/io0 [DeckLink Quad 2] 0x15 OK
1: /dev/blackmagic/io2 [DeckLink Quad 2] 0x15 OK
2: /dev/blackmagic/io1 [DeckLink Quad 2] 0x15 OK
3: /dev/blackmagic/io3 [DeckLink Quad 2] 0x15 OK

When I try to run BlackmagicDesktopVideoSetup I get "NO DESKTOPVIDEO DEVICE DETECTED"

Return to Post Production