DaVinci -> Avid -> DaVinci

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Noah Dodson

DaVinci -> Avid -> DaVinci

PostFri Dec 09, 2016 4:57 pm

Hello there,

I posted a while ago about the DaVinci -> Avid -> DaVinci workflow and with some of you guys' help we managed to find a way to make it work.
I edited my film and I am now trying to link back to the original files but it won't link.

Here's a detailed description of my workflow:

Import all files to Media Pool.
Sync the files.
Create ProRes 422 1080p proxies using source names
ON AVID
Link to media those proxies
Edit
Export AAF protocol
back to DAVINCI:
Keep the original files in the Media Pool
Switch settings to Assist using real names from the *Source clip file pathname *pattern */%R/%D
Sort timeline using reel name and timecode
Import AAF: Automatically set project settings + Link to source camera files

When I import, everything is offline. When I select "drag the files into media pool", it drags the proxies instead of the original files.
I did this workflow a while ago and it worked. I don't understand what I am doing wrong.

I really really really appreciate you guys taking the time to figure this out. Thank you.

N.

Noah Dodson

Re: DaVinci -> Avid -> DaVinci

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 12:34 pm

Hello,

I have found a fix! For anybody running into this kind of problem:

Import the AAF without importing the proxies, but with "link to camera files". It will generate the timeline but everything will be red/offline. Select (on the timeline) the first clip, and locate the original clip you want to link it back to in the Master window (top left) of the Media Pool, click on the correct file, then right click and "Force Conform With Media Pool Clip".
The second problem I had was that for some reason all of my re-imported RAW files were given a wrong Timecode (they actually had none). For some reason when I re-imported them AFTER importing the AAF, the timecodes were correct. I don't know why, and I can't explain it, but it worked.

Thank you,
N.

Glenn Sakatch

Re: DaVinci -> Avid -> DaVinci

PostSat Dec 10, 2016 7:30 pm

If you set this up correctly at the start of the project, you should have media in Avid that shows a proper path and file name and tape id, matching what Resolve had.

When you go back to Resolve, you shouldn't need to change your "set reel name" setting. If the original imports had correct information tagged, leave that setting alone. (if not, you are in a world of hurt)

Import your AAF, deselect "automatically import media"

Resolve will ask where the media is coming from.
point it to your original media folder.

If it still isn't working, check your timecodes in Avid vs Resolve on a particular clip.
Check the clip name and reel id on Avid vs resolve. Does it look like it should be working?

What kind of camera originals are we talking about here...(that can be an issue as well, as some really don't work well with this process)

Return to Post Production