LFE and C channel STILL are switched...

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Alain Dessauvage

LFE and C channel STILL are switched...

PostWed Dec 14, 2016 9:40 am

Hi there,

When I tried to hook up my UltraStudio Mini Monitor to a Denon DN-500AV preamp to monitor a 5.1 sequence coming out of Avid, I discovered that the Center and Lfe channel still are swapped on the HDMI output. The SDI output is ok.

So instead of using the standard SMPTE layout (L-R-C-Lfe-Ls-Rs), all BMD products use the following layout: L-R-Lfe-C-Ls-Rs which is non-standard and renders BMD hardware utterly useless to monitor multichannel sound using HDMI

This problem has been around for years now, anyone found a solution? BMD know about this, but apparently they don't care. So either I need to buy an AJA T-Tap, or I need to use a SDI to HDMI convertor.

Anyway, you get what you pay for I suppose.

Glenn Sakatch

Re: LFE and C channel STILL are switched...

PostSun Dec 18, 2016 4:52 pm

Actually, i have just completed a 1 hour series for CBC that had 5.1 surround layback. Also in Avid.

My suite uses Kona 3 for the Avid output. I too run my 5.1 signal from SDI through a HDMI converter and into a surround sound receiver. (No blackmagic in the pipe..my HDMI convertor is not from Blackmagic)

Point is i had to swap the C and LFE channels for my playback as well. Didn't seem to matter how the audio output was setup, I was getting similar issues, so it may be an Avid issue, or it may be a converter issue, but i don't think it has anything to do with blackmagic, as i'm not using one in my avid setup at all.

Mike Wolf

PostThu May 02, 2019 8:43 pm

That won’t help you. Just bought an SDI to HDMI 6G. Same issue.
Mike Wolf, CSI
Online Editor | Colorist
mikewolfpost.com
310-357-7211

Drew Lahat

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 11:37 am

Would using the Avid multi-mix settings help work around this?
And there are a few Audio hardware settings in MC. After all, on the SDI side of things there's no L/R/C... just SDI audio channels 1-8.

Return to Post Production