Avid Media Composer Cinema DNG Plugin

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

JasonFinnigan

Avid Media Composer Cinema DNG Plugin

PostFri Feb 03, 2017 3:07 pm

Since Avid expects Camera manufacturers to write the plugins for Media Composer to support their camera, instead of Avid doing it. any chance Blackmagic will be writing one for MC to support Cinema DNG?

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Avid Media Composer Cinema DNG Plugin

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 5:20 pm

Since the first Blackmagic DNG files started appearing what...4 or 5 years ago?... I wouldn't hold my breath.

I think they would much prefer you use their product...and their hardware to run their product.

JasonFinnigan

PostSat Feb 04, 2017 8:34 pm

Glenn Sakatch wrote:I think they would much prefer you use their product...and their hardware to run their product.

If that were true that would not have used DNG has it's an open Standard.

Glenn Sakatch

PostSat Feb 11, 2017 6:03 pm

The reason for their use of Cinema DNG has little to do with their desire to help other software companies work with the material. They are a hardware manufacturer, selling (and giving away) software to help further their cause. (which is fine...that is how the world works).

But in no way does it mean that they will be rushing to help Avid use their format.
If Avid wants us to use it...they will have to develop it, or you will have to pay for something like Gluetools.

As you said yourself, it is up the camera manufacturers to create the plugins....so where is it after all these years?

I remember the early days of Red. It took years before we had a reliable way of working with those files in FCP, DS, and Avid, because TC and file names were not being tracked correctly.

Red couldn't care less. They sold cameras, and the idea was that someone else would figure out the post workflow. A whole industry of file and list conversion companies sprung up so we could uprez something shot on R3d, but edited in proxy mode.

Return to Post Production