New Converter s/w (7.0.7) breaks working Audio to SDI setup

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Bill Wood

New Converter s/w (7.0.7) breaks working Audio to SDI setup

PostWed Feb 08, 2017 11:11 pm

For the last year I have been using three BM mini-converters to add eight channels of analog audio, (surround sound), to a 1080i59.94 component video signal before using Media Express to record the combined SDI input. The HD component signal is converted to SDI in a Analog to SDI converter with all dip switches off. The analog audio inputs to are not used (the setup audio levels are turned off). Next the SDI output is routed serially through two Audio to SDI mini converters.

The first Audio to SDI converter has all dip switches OFF, which embeds the first four analog audio channels into slots 1 through 4 along with the 1080i59.94 SDI input. Then the converter SDI output is connected to the second Audio to SDI mini converter where, with dip switch 5 turned ON, it embeds the next four analog audio inputs into slots 5 through 8. The SDI output is connected to my DeckLink 4k Extreme capture card in my Win 10 pro, Dell T7600 Precision Workstation.

This combination of BM mini converters to record the eight surround sound channels worked until a week ago when I downloaded and started using Converter Setup version.7.0.6. Up to that time I had been using Converter Setup version 4.0 The new version 7.0.6 asked me to update the firmware in my Analog to SDI converter. After the update ALL of the sound channels disappeared from the Media Express Log and Capture V channels. After the firmware update, I could NOT see anything, except occasional random column flashing. Yesterday (02/06/2017), after trying many workarounds without success, I saw that a new Converter Setup version was posted (version 7.0.7).

After I downloaded 7.0.7 I found that several changes were made to the Audio settings. In the Analog to SDI converter, the Audio Input Levels indicated “Off” when the levels were slid all the way to the left. Before 7.0.7 I had the levels all the way to the left side of the Audio screen, but there was no “Off” indicated. In the Audio to SDI converter Input Levels screen, any of the input levels will indicate “Off” when the slider was moved against the left stop.

I found that if I only have one Audio to SDI mini converter, instead of two in tandem, the first four audio channels will work for analog channels 1 through 4, or if dip switch 5 is turned on, for analog channels 5 through 8, were embedded with the 1080i59.94 HD signal. But if I add the second Audio to SDI mini converter, NONE of the eight channels work! The combination of the Analog to SDI firmware change and/or the 7.0.7 Converters Setup changes stopped a two-year run of successful operation in its tracks!

Again all the dip switches in the first Audio to SDI converter are turned OFF. In the second Audio to SDI unit only dip switch 5 is on. All four audio channel input levels in each of the two Audio to SDI converters are set to 0.00Db. That should embed the first four channels (1 through 4) in the first converter and the second four channels (5 through 8) in the second converter. Obviously I am now doing something wrong in the dip switch settings or the wrong settings in the Setup utility.

Does anyone have suggestions, like the correct dip switch settings or setup changes, that will allow the adding of eight audio channels to an SDI stream, using BlackMagic Analog to SDI and Audio to SDI mini-converters?

Return to Post Production