HyperDeck Studio Mini & Multiple Screen Display??

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ethan Harris

HyperDeck Studio Mini & Multiple Screen Display??

PostThu Feb 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Half way down the "design" tab on on the new HyperDeck Studio Mini product page is an illustration of a display wall consisting of 4 TV's driven by a set of 4 daisy-chained HyperDeck Studio Mini's. Nice idea, but I'm at a loss to understand how this might actually work. Nothing in the BMD marketing material indicates how to implement such a scheme, and the manual says nothing either. So my questions are:

- Does each hyperdeck need to be pre-loaded with the appropriate 1/4 of the overall image, requiring 4 separate renders (each 1/4 of the overall image)? Or is each deck in the chain loaded with the overall image to be displayed on the wall and programmed to carve up the video into quarters - with the appropriate quarter sent to the attached display?

- How does one trigger all 4 hyperdecks to start simultaneously so that all 4 images remain synched to each other? I get it that the hyperdecks are all genlocked via the daisy-chain reference connections, so that their clocks are synched. But genlocking the video clock does not synchronize the start / stop control signals that would be required to build a display wall like this. The latest ATEM software does not have a method that I am aware of to issue simultaneous start/stop commands to multiple hyperdecks. So far as I know only one hyperdeck can be triggered at a time. Does the synchronization BMD hints at on the product page somehow make all 4 hyperdecks look like a single hyperdeck? Should all 4 of the decks have the same IP address (?a violation of internet addressing rules?) so all 4 can respond simultaneously to a single command issued on the network? If not, I suppose a macro can trigger all 4 units in rapid succession, but would the macro execute quickly enough and would the ethernet commands arrive and be processed by all 4 hyperdecks fast enough (within a single video frame timespan) to trigger the 4 screens to start simultaneously such that the overall image on the wall looks the way it should?

- Is there a way to use this device to feed a 4 TV video wall with a live video feed from an ATEM?

Ethan Harris

Re: HyperDeck Studio Mini & Multiple Screen Display??

PostThu Feb 16, 2017 9:40 pm

Quick followup. I contacted BMD and the recommendation is to pre-render video 4 times to create the "quadrants" from the original source video. Each quadrant contains a different 1/4 of the source video. Each quadrant can then be stored in the appropriate Hyperdeck Mini connected to its TV in the video wall, and the clip can be played like any other clip. Telnet commands or an ATEM macro can kick all 4 Hyperdeck Mini's feeding the video wall to start/stop playback, record, etc. in unison. So for situations where video can be pre-rendered, this will work.

Live video is a different situation. BMD can only carve up a 12G-SDI source video into quadrants with a Teranex 12G-SDI to HD-SDI converter. The Teranex does accept HD and other signal formats, but BEWARE:

Although the Teranex can split a 12G-SDI signal into quadrants and send the quadrants out on the 4 HD-SDI output ports, it cannot do this for any other input video signal type - such as 3G, 6G, etc. So it would appear that a "live" video ATEM based solution from BMD to supply a video wall as shown on their web site is not available unless you can feed the Teranex with a 12G-SDI source signal.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Feb 17, 2017 12:46 pm

Even if you can trigger 4 Hyperdecks at the same time this is still not a guarantee that it will work properly.
Same time has to mean well within 1 frame time and remain synced over time.
Proper way of doing it is something which can be sync-locked. Only such a solution will give you perfect sync between quadrants, even over long time.

Are you trying to drive 4 HD screens or 4K screens?
I tested different approach over GPU with good player (e.g. Scratch Play). This was to drive 4x4K 60p screen and worked well as whole surfaces comes from 1 GPU.

Ethan Harris

PostTue May 02, 2017 7:52 pm

Our application is pretty straightforward. Take video at 1080i59.94, split it into quadrants, with each quadrant going to it's own TV. A simple video wall. Seems impractical and costly to upscale an HD signal to 12G in order to feed 4 Hyperdeck Studio Minis.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed May 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Ethan Harris wrote:Our application is pretty straightforward. Take video at 1080i59.94, split it into quadrants, with each quadrant going to it's own TV. A simple video wall. Seems impractical and costly to upscale an HD signal to 12G in order to feed 4 Hyperdeck Studio Minis.

Take HD and split into quadrants? They will be just SD.
This then goes to 4xHD TVs (where each TV upscales quadrant to HD) to make huge UHD (but in reality just HD resolution) wall ?

In this case you just need some HD to 4 quadrants splitter-combiner like this one:

http://www.rcblogic.co.uk/p-3220-decima ... 0wodkwgL3A

Return to Post Production