Resolve to Premiere Color Space Issues

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Peyton Penuel

Resolve to Premiere Color Space Issues

PostWed Feb 22, 2017 4:22 pm

I'm currently working with some Ursa Mini 4.6K and BMCC 2.5K interview footage for a project. Shot the BMCC in 2.5K RAW and the UM in 4.6K 4:1 RAW. Did my grade in Resolve 12.5, exported out the footage in Pro Res 422HQ and when I opened QT, Resolve, and Premiere, all the colors were different. Skin tones were harsher and the walls were a little off. I went into the Color Management tab of Resolve and changed the timeline color space to BMD Video 4K V3 and then regraded and exported thinking maybe that would get it closer to the Rec 709 that is Adobe is reading. It made it more usable, I can adjust this image in Premiere to get it where I want. But obviously I'd rather use Resolve to get my grade where I want. I'm not a colorist by any means, Any Tips or Ideas?

Thanks,

Benjamin de Menil

Re: Resolve to Premiere Color Space Issues

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 9:40 pm

I'm having the same issue. I see the default colorspace for my resolve projects is rec 709 gamma 2.4. Is there a different colorspace that should be used for compatibility with premiere?

Andrew Kolakowski

PostSun Mar 26, 2017 10:08 pm

This is not normal. You may have bit of gamma difference, but in your case it's huge difference. Something is not right.
What if you load exported ProRes back to Resolve and compare to timeline?

Benjamin de Menil

PostMon Mar 27, 2017 6:10 pm

I've done some experimenting. With DNxHR 444, I get accurate colors into premiere. With DNxHR 422, the gamma is off, and maybe the colors too.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Mar 28, 2017 1:34 pm

These won't be files itself, but just preview.

Return to Post Production