Voice Over Problems with Artist DnxIO in Premiere

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Matthias Jakumeit

Voice Over Problems with Artist DnxIO in Premiere

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 11:10 am

Hey guys,

since a few weeks we have owned an AVID Artist DnxIO Box which we use in one of our editing suites for AVID Media Composer and Adobe Premiere CC. While we can do a voice over recording in Media Composer from our sound cabin it is not possible to do this in Premiere. By the way the Audio input is set to AES / EBU.

AVID MC:

AVID_VO.PNG
AVID_VO.PNG (24.64 KiB) Viewed 3242 times

As I read in the forum that a video signal is also needed for recording audio only I switched on one of our old Digital Betacam Recorders. I tried to capture a Video from that source while Audio is embedded into the SDI signal and it works in Premiere. Then I changed the audio input again to AES / EBU and I have a signal from our sound cabin but only when the capture tool of Premiere is opened.

Adobe Premiere CC

PREMIERE_Capture_Tool.png
PREMIERE_Capture_Tool.png (95.77 KiB) Viewed 3242 times

When I move the cursor to the timeline to do a voice over recording the signal gets lost although the capture tool is still opened. I thought this could be a workaround but it didn't work.

PREMIERE_no_Capture_Tool.png
PREMIERE_no_Capture_Tool.png (78.94 KiB) Viewed 3242 times

Does anyone has solution to this problem? Why is it possible to do a voice over recording in Media Composer and not in Premiere? And is it really necessary to have an additional Video input to do a voice over recording?
I thought this could be the right forum as it is an Adobe Premiere issue although AVID supports the ARTIST box.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Our Specs:
MC 8.8 * Premiere CC 2015.3 * Premiere CC 2017 * HP Z840 * Windows 10 64bit SP1 * 64GB RAM * Blackmagic Artist DNxIO * Desktop Video 10.8.3 / AVID's download center * NVIDIA Quadro M4000 / driver 376.82 * Quick Time 7.6

Marcus Herrick

Re: Voice Over Problems with Artist DnxIO in Premiere

PostMon Mar 06, 2017 2:26 am

Traditionally Blackmagic gear needs a video signal present in order to record audio. Try running a HDSDI source into the unit, but set audio to analog for the V/O record.

Matthias Jakumeit

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 3:40 pm

Thanks Marcus. We can only run SDI-sources into the unit as we digitize HD-material from other sources than HD-SDI-Players. Moreover it is not possible for us to change the Audio-Input to analog as all of our editing suites are fed with an AES / EBU signal from our sound cabin.
I read in the AVID forum that the developers had also known about this issue in Media Composer and resolved it with a future release of Desktop Video. So I'm hopeful that a further release of Desktop Video will resolve this problem for Adobe Premiere too.

Matthias Jakumeit

PostFri Aug 25, 2017 10:38 am

Nearly half a year has gone since my last posting and now I'm testing the voice over issue in Premiere again. And guess what - I found a workaround. If you open the 'Blackmagic Media Express' software parallel to 'Adobe Premiere' you'll get an audio signal into premiere. Whether it is is an AES/EBU signal or a different one - it doesn't matter. Obviously it has to do with the additional video signal which I get from one of our old Digital Betam recorders. But as you can't feed in a video signal into premiere during a classical voice over you'll have to open another application where you can feed in this video signal.
In my opinion either the engineers of Avid or Blackmagic should solve this problem. We purchased the Artist Box to edit in Media Composer and Premiere. And this includes all functions which are available for both NLEs. As I mentioned in my earlier posts you can do a voice over recording directly into the timeline in Media Composer. Therefore a video signal is not necessary as the enginners from Avid implemented this feature in one of their Desktop Video Software updates. So who feels responsible to include this feature in a further update for Premiere? Blackmagic or Avid?

Return to Post Production