US Mini Monitor via HDMI with Displayport converter

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Francesco Parrella

US Mini Monitor via HDMI with Displayport converter

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 10:03 am

Hi everybody,

this is my first message, apologize me if my question has been already made, i did not find anything using the search options.

i would like to know if is possible to connect an external monitor (EIZO CG223W) to laptop (Mac pro) via Ultrastudio Minimonitor using a HDMI to Display port converter.
CG223W does not have HDMI input, so i would connect the HDMI cable coming from Mini Monitor to an adapter (HDMI->Displayport) connected to the Eizo.

It might work?

Thank you very much for any advice

cheers
Fra
DR18 (Appstore version) - Macbook Pro 16'' (2021) M1 Max 32 Gb IOS 12.6 - Ultrastudio 4K - Eizo CG223W - LG 31MU97 - Motu Ultralite MK4 2XYamaha HS5 + HS8S - Micropanel - Speed editor - Promise Pegasus R6

Tony Rivera

Blackmagic Design

Re: US Mini Monitor via HDMI with Displayport converter

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 9:23 pm

The Mini Monitor will only work with Thunderbolt connections so this workflow would not be possible.
Support: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support
Info: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/company

Follow us on Instagram:
@blackmagicnewsofficial

Francesco Parrella

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 9:33 pm

Thanks for your reply,

Seems that i will need a new monitor with HDMI input.

Cheers
DR18 (Appstore version) - Macbook Pro 16'' (2021) M1 Max 32 Gb IOS 12.6 - Ultrastudio 4K - Eizo CG223W - LG 31MU97 - Motu Ultralite MK4 2XYamaha HS5 + HS8S - Micropanel - Speed editor - Promise Pegasus R6

roger.magnusson

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 9:45 pm

I think Francesco means in the other end of the Mini Monitor, right? If so, it will work as long as the Eizo can handle the resolution/refresh rate you want to use, and the MacBook Pro is recent (with Thunderbolt ports).

MacBook Pro > Thunderbolt cable > UltraStudio Mini Monitor > HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter > Eizo

Francesco Parrella

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 10:32 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:I think Francesco means in the other end of the Mini Monitor, right? If so, it will work as long as the Eizo can handle the resolution/refresh rate you want to use.

MacBook Pro > Thunderbolt cable > UltraStudio Mini Monitor > HDMI to DisplayPort Adapter > Eizo

Right!

Eizo CG 223W resolution is 1680 x 1050 @ 60 Hz so did not macth the full HD 1080 signal coming from Minimonitor... need another monitor :D

thanks a lot!

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Mar 07, 2017 11:46 pm

Francesco Parrella wrote:Hi everybody,

this is my first message, apologize me if my question has been already made, i did not find anything using the search options.

i would like to know if is possible to connect an external monitor (EIZO CG223W) to laptop (Mac pro) via Ultrastudio Minimonitor using a HDMI to Display port converter.
CG223W does not have HDMI input, so i would connect the HDMI cable coming from Mini Monitor to an adapter (HDMI->Displayport) connected to the Eizo.

It might work?

Thank you very much for any advice

cheers
Fra

Any HDMI to DP cable should do the job.
You may want to ask Eizo if your monitor will work with YUV 4:2:2 signal over DP.
If not you would need an active converter which would convert 4:2:2 YUV into RGB for DP connection.

Francesco Parrella

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 11:54 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Any HDMI to DP cable should do the job.
You may want to ask Eizo if your monitor will work with YUV 4:2:2 signal over DP.
If not you would need an active converter which would convert 4:2:2 YUV into RGB for DP connection.

Thank you Andrew,

I've checked the Eizo manual and the supported digital signal are:
DisplayPort (Standard V1.1a, applicable to HDCP)
and TMDS (Single Link) for DVI
They don't mentioned the YUV 4:2:2 signal which is mentioned in the new CG and CX series...

Eizo Support also answered me that 1920 X1080 is an unsupported resolution.

Its quite clear that the limit is on the monitor and not the adapter, so its time to think to buy a new monitor for playback and grading that support full HD YUV 422 over HDMI.

many thanks to all

cheers

Fra

Andrew Kolakowski

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 9:12 pm

Sorry, for whatever reason I assumed this is full HD model, but it's not and it has 1680x1050 native resolution, so it will never support full HD :)

Francesco Parrella

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 11:17 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Sorry, for whatever reason I assumed this is full HD model, but it's not and it has 1680x1050 native resolution, so it will never support full HD :)

No problem Andrew and thanks for your reply, thats the point! I was hoping that saome how the signal could be scaled down to the resolution of the monitor and this works from the video card of the macbook pro (via DP) but not over Mini monitor...
Now i need to make the right choice for a new 1080 HDMI monitor and i am oriented on Eizo CG 247 X but LG 4k winks me.. :D

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 12:10 pm

Get Eizo 4K CG318- amazing monitor. Even if it's based on the same panel as LG (apparently) it still feels like another level over LG. I've seen LG, it's definitely decent for its price (it doesn't have very advanced filters, so IPS glow shows up).
There meant to be 2nd gen with 2xTB ports instead of DiplayPorts. Are they available?

You can't go wrong with Eizo and if you do HD work I think I would go for Eizo.

Francesco Parrella

PostMon Mar 13, 2017 1:26 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Get Eizo 4K CG318- amazing monitor. Even if it's based on the same panel as LG (apparently) it still feels like another level over LG. I've seen LG, it's definitely decent for its price (it doesn't have very advanced filters, so IPS glow shows up).
There meant to be 2nd gen with 2xTB ports instead of DiplayPorts. Are they available?

You can't go wrong with Eizo and if you do HD work I think I would go for Eizo.

Eizo 4K it would be amazing but its definitly out of budget at the moment....my output is mostly 1080 sometime with 4K footage scaled down and Eizo panel witn hardware calibration and gammut profiles, are proprieties that I want to let me miss...

Return to Post Production