FCP X 10.3.2 dropping frames when starting playback

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Witold Oleksiak

FCP X 10.3.2 dropping frames when starting playback

PostWed Mar 08, 2017 1:39 pm

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone else observes heavy frame dropping when starting playback in Final Cut Pro 10.3.2 with video output active through Blackmagic devices?

Most of the time when starting playback it begins very fast, but Final Cut is dropping most of the frames for first 1-2 seconds. After that it stabilizes and plays fluently. Or not. Sometimes you have to stop playback and start it again, because video completely freezes. Both output on computer monitor and on external one are affected. Disabling A/V Output makes issue go away.

The issue is annoying at best and sometimes simply makes reasonable monitoring possible. You have to put the head on timeline way ahead to actually see ie. if the cut was placed as intended.
Here is an example screen recording showing the problem: dropbox link

I tested it in multiple configurations, all giving the same results:
  • Hardware: Decklink UltraStudio Mini Monitor and UltraStudio Express
  • Drivers: Desktop Video 10.4.3 (last version working without crashing FCP X) and 10.8.5 (newest, seems to be stable too finally)

All tests were done on Mac Pro with 3,5GHz 6-core Xeon CPU, 32 GB RAM and Dual Firepro D500 GPUs.
Media were stored on internal SSD drive in ProRes, 1080i50 resolution (same output configured in Desktop Video Setup and FCP project settings).

In comparison FCPX with AJA T-TAP output takes a little longer to start playback, but it goes smoothly from the beginning.

Can it be fixed?

Alar Suija

Re: FCP X 10.3.2 dropping frames when starting playback

PostThu Mar 09, 2017 6:27 am

I have macOS 10.12.3, FCPX 10.3.2 and quadcore late 2013 MacPro with Media Express / DesktopVideo 10.8.5

Same here (except picture freeze), also I still have some FCPX crashes (using DV10.8.5)- but now very randomly and not in all power cycles (=sessions)- comparing to older drivers. It's odd and yes, very very annoying.

christermolander

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:59 pm

Same here. With macOS 10.12.3, Desktop Video 10.8.5 and a DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K. Both the stuttering and the crashes.

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk

Lawrence Arnold

PostThu Mar 23, 2017 6:30 pm

I have this problem too. Because of persistent crashing, I dropped back to Video 10.4.1. The crashing was cured, almost, but the problem discussed here occurs even with the older version of Desktop Video. Very annoying.
5K iMac 27", late 2015
4 GHz i7, 32 GB ram
AMD Radeon R9 M395X, 4 GB
MacOS Mojave 10.14.1
Da Vinci Resolve Studio 15.2
UltraStudio Mini Monitor
Micro Converter SDI > HDMI
BMPCC
BMPCC4K

Boon Seng Lee

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 2:45 pm

Did you guys managed to get this solved?
I'm on FCP X 10.4 and BM 10.9.3. Everything works when FCPX A/V output is turned off. Once turn on, the beginning of a sequence playback will stutter before it catches up to speed.

Witold Oleksiak

PostSat Dec 23, 2017 4:57 pm

I solved it by changing to other brand.

Boon Seng Lee

PostSun Dec 24, 2017 5:57 am

Witold Oleksiak wrote:I solved it by changing to other brand.

may I know what brand and model? thanks.

Witold Oleksiak

PostThu Dec 28, 2017 9:49 am

AJA T-TAP is a direct competitor for Decklink UltraStudio Mini Monitor. AJA has their own issues (like no official drivers for High Sierra yet, you may get beta ones through support), but still is more FCP X friendly.
Their alternatives to UltraStudio Express are more expensive though.

Richard Squires

PostFri Dec 29, 2017 6:46 am

Well I thought I would be the only one but it seems I too have this issue. I have updated Final Cut to the latest 10.4 and Blackmagic Desktop video to 10.9.9 I have the slight pause and stutter before playback but then it seems ok. I have the old Thunderbolt Intensity Extreme aluminium brick with HDMI out. I am playing back Pro Res and XDCAM 1080 25p and this is the same as desktop video is set to. It’s annoying to say the least.
Richard Squires
Broadcast Designer/Director
Melbourne Australia

Richard Squires

PostSat Dec 30, 2017 12:24 am

Further to this problem it would seem that Final Cut is the culprit or has something to do with the problem. I have also tried Premiere Pro and it does not exhibit the same behaviour. I am using exactly the same footage and timeline is set correctly. Playback is immediate with no stutters at the start. Hit spacebar to pause and then again to play and it is like butter as it should be. I use Adobe After effects on a daily basis and like Final Cut Pro a lot for editing, but I may have to change now as this playback issue is very detrimental to the workflow. Really kills it for me. Final Cut Pro works with the HDMI out pretty well so that would be another option but it acts as a second monitor and this is not really what I want as it doesn't automatically feed what you want to monitor when using AE and Premiere. I think also the AJA T Tap might be a good choice too although it irks me to shell out AU$430.00 just for this little niggle
Richard Squires
Broadcast Designer/Director
Melbourne Australia

Return to Post Production