Intensity Shuttle not locking to MacBook Pro HDMI output

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

BobKatz

Intensity Shuttle not locking to MacBook Pro HDMI output

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 12:54 pm

Hi, guys. Black Magic, thanks for producing economical video tools that we can use for streaming and capturing!

I have just purchased and begun to set up a Thunderbolt Intensity Shuttle. The intent is to stream live educational programs over either Facebook Live or Twitch. I'm chairman of the Central Florida Section of the Audio Engineering Society and we stream both a live camera and the output of Keynotes and Powerpoints.

The live camera, a small Sony HD camera with 1080i/59.94 output, is working fine into the Intensity Shuttle. The streaming computer is a Macbook Pro running 10.11.6, 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB memory and 1 TB SSD. We're running OBS software for the streaming. Let's call this machine "Macbook Pro #1"

Hopefully I will be able to use an external HDMI switcher into the Intensity Shuttle to switch between two HDMI sources during the live streaming. I don't mind seeing a glitch when switching cameras if it occurs, but Hopefully the frame sync differences between the two HDMI sources will not cause OBS any hiccups when streaming. But I haven't even gotten that far in my testing, as...

The Intensity Shuttle is not successfully locking to an external Macbook Pro running a Keynote or Powerpoint presentation. Let's call this machine Macbook Pro #2. Macbook Pro #2 is putting out 1080i/60. Occasionally I see a brief picture in OBS on Macbook Pro #1, but mostly it's just black. When I do get a picture I will get a burst of audio, but there is no audio unless there is picture. This is expected and is also the performance in Black Magic Media Express. Without video lock, there can be no audio.. Audio is coming into the RCA inputs, by the way, but I understand that video lock is necessary to get audio, either embedded or via the RCA inputs.

Sometimes with luck the picture blinks two or three times a second. But mostly it's black I have not been able to see a continuous, successful picture. My diagnosis is the cause of the problem is either inexact frame rate for the shuttle to lock to, HDCP problems, or EDID problems. I can't imagine any other cause. I have confirmed that Macbook Pro #2 produces a successful picture on any HDMI monitor.

I then attempted to reset Macbook Pro #2 to produce 59.94 instead of 60 Hz refresh rate, also at 1080i, in case the Shuttle did not like the 60 Hz refresh rate for some reason. I used a utility called "SwitchResX" to produce a 59.94 Hz refresh rate from the Macbook Pro #2. But this did not work for us either.

I then played with an EDID eliminator called DVI doctor and this did not help. Plus, if the problem was HDCP, since the DVI doctor uses DVI connectors, I assumed that any HDCP problems would be eliminated by inserting DVI connections in the middle of the chain. But that did not help.

I then hoped a Digital to Analog to Digital solution might solve the problem if it was frame rate, but I have not been able to find an economical VGA to HDMI box that puts out 1080i since the Intensity Shuttle is not able to accept 1080p/60 inputs. I wonder if that is a hardware or software limitation?

Anyway, I've reached the end of my rope... spent tons of personal money to help the non-profit Audio Engineering Society in its streamcasts and I'm dead in the water. I cannot figure out how to diagnose the cause of this blinking picture. I'm willing at this point to invest up to $150 in personal money in an external box if it will let us receive picture from another computer on the Intensity Shuttle. I hope that won't be necessary,

If the problem is frame rate, I have an Oscilloscope and frequency counter but am at a loss as to how to measure the frame rate coming out of an HDMI digital connection. I thought maybe the Shuttle has a very narrow PLL lock range and maybe the source Mac Pro is not putting out exactly enough 60 (or 59.94) refresh rate. Which hopefully I could fix with Switch Res X.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Return to Post Production