DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K in Mac OS 10.8.5

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Alex Vargas

DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K in Mac OS 10.8.5

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 7:01 pm

I am on a long project that requires I complete it with:
Mac Pro 5,1 12 core
Mac OS 10.8.5
Final Cut 7.0.3

My color grading monitor is a 10 bit NEC PA272W. (wide gamut)
It has 10 bit inputs through HDMI and DisplayPort.
I need an output card with 10 bit HDMI or DisplayPort.

The DeckLink products use the Desktop Video firmware, and the last firmware version to support Final Cut 7 on Mac OS 10.8.5 was Desktop Video 9.9.2

I would love to know if anybody has been able to use any BMD HDMI 10 bit output cards in OS 10.8.5.
I want to install a DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K for 10 bit output while using the old Desktop Video 9.9.2.
I know that HDMI out is definitely 10 bit on THAT card.

In the older Decklink Mini Monitor (not 4K), the SDI sends 10 bit out, but the HDMI is 8 bit.
If what I have gathered from research is wrong, please correct me!!!

Maybe somebody here knows what BMD card might work.

Any suggestions or comments are super welcome.
And yes, while the drivers for these cards go way back a few years and even mention when they supported FCP7, it does not mean that the cards support an application that is dead. I get that.
But do any of the new cards work on OS 10.8.5 or not? I'm thinking yes, but have no time to test.
I can't be the only editor with a flawless Mac Pro 5,1 and FCP7 in it, needing HDMI 10 bit out and looking to start grading three days ago! :shock:

Thanks for reading!
Alex Vargas
San Francisco, CA
Filmmaker
BMPC, MacPro12core, ATTO R680, 16 bay RAID, Resolve 15, Logic Pro

Alex Vargas

Re: DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K in Mac OS 10.8.5

PostTue Mar 21, 2017 8:06 pm

And I got this:

Alex,

I agree that the DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K will be perfect for your system after you upgrade your OS, but we can't guarantee you'll have success using it with an older operating system. The DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K did not exist at the time Desktop Video 9.9.2 was released, so the driver has no way of recognizing or communicating with the card. If you are limited to Desktop Video 9.9.2 because of Final Cut 7, you won't be able to use any of our products that were released after November 2013. Every time a new product is released, we publish a new driver that becomes the bare minimum version that is necessary to use the device. Support for the DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K was added in Desktop Video 10.8 in September 2016. We don't intentionally remove compatibility with old operating systems, but when an OS is no longer listed as supported, that means we no longer test our drivers with it to be sure there are no issues. This means it's possible you could successfully use the DeckLink Mini Monitor 4K with OSX 10.9, and less likely with OSX 10.8, but you'd definitely still need at least Desktop Video 10.8, which isn't compatible with Final Cut 7. The only DeckLink product that was released before Desktop Video 9.9.2 and supports 10-bit YUV monitoring of 4K and UHD resolutions via HDMI is the DeckLink 4K Extreme. It requires two ports on the back of your computer, but only one PCIe slot. The HDMI ports are not connected to the motherboard - they are connected via cables on the PCIe card itself.

According to the DeckLink Mini Monitor's tech specs page, both the SDI and HDMI Color Precision is 10-bit. All of our currently supported DeckLink cards support 10-bit YUV, but not all support 10-bit RGB.

All the Best,

Nick Pasco
Technical Support Representative
Blackmagic Design Inc.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com

Super grateful for this response, but I am still asking.
Has anybody tried the DeckLink 4K Extreme with FCP7 on Mac OS 10.8.5?
Alex Vargas
San Francisco, CA
Filmmaker
BMPC, MacPro12core, ATTO R680, 16 bay RAID, Resolve 15, Logic Pro

Return to Post Production