h.264 Pro Recorder No Signal (Betacam SP deck)

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Lucas Wilkinson

h.264 Pro Recorder No Signal (Betacam SP deck)

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 7:32 am

Total newbie on this but I'm having some issues with my Pro Recorder and would love some help.

I connected my Sony UVW-1800P with BNC cables via the component connectors to my Pro Recorder. Originally I got signal, for a fleeting second, then I got black and white signal, now I have no signal. Have unplugged/plugged. Power cycled, check all connections. But I just can't seem to get a signal back in Media Express. I might have missed something, but I followed all the instructions and logically, I should have some signal.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Massimiliano Celindano

Re: h.264 Pro Recorder No Signal (Betacam SP deck)

PostWed Apr 12, 2017 5:38 pm

I may be wrong but I would feed some standard blackburst or sync signal to Betacam VCR as video reference and see what happens
Last edited by Massimiliano Celindano on Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Barrett

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 8:45 pm

Lucas Wilkinson wrote:I connected my Sony UVW-1800P with BNC cables via the component connectors to my Pro Recorder. Originally I got signal, for a fleeting second, then I got black and white signal, now I have no signal....

As a matter of interest what happens if you merely make a single composite video connection from the Beta-SP VCR to the Pro Recorder? This is the best place to start.

I should also add that the Pro Recorder can be very finicky about the stability of analogue inputs.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Lucas Wilkinson

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 1:09 am

I now have a B&W (semi-unstable) signal from the deck. It appears that I'm only getting signal from the 'Y' connector of component triad. I've also tried a single composite and I get a similar B&W unstable image.

If my analogue output is unstable, is there a way to stabilise it? Or is my machine faulty?

Audio is fine and clean.

Lucas Wilkinson

PostFri Apr 14, 2017 2:45 am

If I do need a black burst generator, would I be able to use the Blackmagic Sync Generator mini converter?

Colin Barrett

PostTue Apr 18, 2017 1:57 pm

I wouldn't fork out for a new BBG. Have a look on eBay for a used one that's been ripped from a SD video edit system or transfer bay. Failing that, a better option would be a used TBC (TimeBase Corrector). These crop up regularly, especially in the USA.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Lucas Wilkinson

PostSat Apr 29, 2017 3:36 am

Right. So I have a stable signal. But I can only manage to get a mostly green picture from the composite video out. And a black and white picture from the component video out. It appears that in the component out the Yr and Yb do nothing. I'm just getting a luma though the Y.

Any advice guys?

Massimiliano Celindano

PostMon May 01, 2017 7:30 pm

Do you get the same even connecting the deck directly to a video monitor?

Lucas Wilkinson

PostTue May 02, 2017 12:35 am

Yep, same thing when hooked up to a Sony Trimaster monitor. Mostly green picture via the composite connector. Then a B&W picture from the Y connector in the composite chain. I'm really bad with this old-schools stuff. Really appreciate the help.

Massimiliano Celindano

PostTue May 02, 2017 11:10 am

Try to send the signal to the monitor without BBG... If the problem is sill there, then the deck could be defective or not setup correctly, assuming that the cables are ok.

Return to Post Production