Nvidia Titan XP - 10 Bit question

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

TomasvHarten

Nvidia Titan XP - 10 Bit question

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 10:20 am

Hey guys, this is my first post and I've been browsing the internet for quite a while and I thought might as well just ask it here.

I've been using a 15" 2016 MBP for grading and I've decided to start investing in a PC build to handle our RED footage as the MBP is a wee bit too slow.

I've figured out the build of the PC but the remaining question is what are my options to get 10bit color out. We'll be purchasing a 10bit Monitor alongside the new PC so...

That brings my to the question, this new Nvidia Titan XP seems like a beast of a card, with display port 1.43 on it. Is it possible to use that port for a 10bit signal to the monitor or is pretty much your only bet buying a quadro card or getting a blackmagic card in your computer with SDI?

Cheers,
Tomas

JPOwens

Re: Nvidia Titan XP - 10 Bit question

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 5:00 pm

tomasvharten wrote:or getting a blackmagic card in your computer with SDI?

It depends on how rigorous your fidelity/management/calibration demands are. "Ten-bit" is the least of your worries in comparison, considering the difference between accuracy and precision. Sort of like bombing *near* a target and causing no damage. There are ways of compensating the signal path for simulating a grade monitor, and this is relevant for those who are not required to adhere to any international standards or commercial delivery. You can use a graphics display for non-critical reference, or if you are exclusively developing content for a specific display. I'm in that situation now -- non-broadcast single-point use and I'm getting the actual monitor that will be used, so in the true sense of display-reference, the grade will be specifically for that one device. Lord knows what it's calibrated for or how the exhibitor is going to choose a display mode.
Resolve does have a "cinema display" mode for filling the screen, but only as a preview on the UI and the "second monitor" still only is extra real estate for timeline and scopes...

The UI preview was not originally how the application was intended to be used... the external managed and calibrated SDI/HDMI image path is still the one that eliminates the lion's share of landmines inside of an OS-managed Color system.

jPo, CSI

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 5:22 pm

tomasvharten wrote:Hey guys, this is my first post and I've been browsing the internet for quite a while and I thought might as well just ask it here.

I've been using a 15" 2016 MBP for grading and I've decided to start investing in a PC build to handle our RED footage as the MBP is a wee bit too slow.

I've figured out the build of the PC but the remaining question is what are my options to get 10bit color out. We'll be purchasing a 10bit Monitor alongside the new PC so...

That brings my to the question, this new Nvidia Titan XP seems like a beast of a card, with display port 1.43 on it. Is it possible to use that port for a 10bit signal to the monitor or is pretty much your only bet buying a quadro card or getting a blackmagic card in your computer with SDI?

Cheers,
Tomas

Not possible with Resolve on PC. Quadro doesn't change anything in Resolve (it does for e.g. Scratch).
Get some SDI/HDMI BM card.

TomasvHarten

PostThu Apr 13, 2017 10:08 pm

Alright, thanks Andrew!

@JP it does make a lot of sense. Thanks for explaining a bit :). A BM card inside it is!

Cheers guys, if there is a place where I could find more of this techy knowledge feel free to add links because for gfx cards and cpus there is a lot of info but i couldnt find a lot on colour output..

Return to Post Production