Big Surprise - Decklink Mini Monitor

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

William Winstead

Big Surprise - Decklink Mini Monitor

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 5:20 pm

Just bought a Atomos Ninja Flame which only gives you two options for 4K HQ (low compression). Was told to avoid Prores on Windows since you can't render a ProRes file on that platform (thanks Apple).
Not being too hardheaded, created a NDxHR HQX file and discovered that the Mini Monitor won't output this format (DR 12.5.5). Tried ProRes HQ and the Mini Monitor works fine!
I really don't want the hassle of rendering ProRes to NDxHR and having an intermediate file that nobody using a Mini Monitor will be able to work with.
Am I missing something or is there a simple fix for this?
Thanks in advance - William

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Big Surprise - Decklink Mini Monitor

PostThu Apr 27, 2017 8:30 pm

It makes no difference if it's ProRes or DNxHR or other codec in Resolve. They all should give preview. What you see is dictated by monitoring setting. Just make sure it's set to one of the Mini Monitor supported formats and then whatever you use ProRes or DNxHR won't matter for preview.

William Winstead

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 1:07 am

Thanks for your response Andrew.
I think the mystery is solved.
Have looked at all the options in "Preferences" and "Project Settings" and can't see anything that doesn't look correct.
NDxHR always gives the error message "Failed to set the videomode on the video i/o device".

Decided to look at the specs on the card and I think that is the root of the problem, namely NDxHD and NDxHR are not supported formats. Guess I should have looked here first but never dreamed the card wouldn't support that format.

Here's what is listed:
AVC-Intra
AVCHD
Canon XF (MPEG-2)
H.264
DV
DVCPRO50
DVCPROHD
DPX
HDV
XDCAM EX/HD/HD422
Apple ProRes 4444/422 HQ/422/LT/Proxy
Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2
Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2

More steps added to the workflow (sigh) ....

Thanks again - William

roger.magnusson

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 8:23 pm

The codecs listed are the codecs supported by the Media Express application included in the driver. The actual hardware doesn't care about codecs since frames are uncompressed before they're sent to the card.

Like Andrew said, it will work in for example DaVinci Resolve provided that the Video Monitoring settings are set to a resolution, bit depth and chroma subsampling mode that the card and monitor can display.

William Winstead

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 10:13 pm

Guess you can tell I'm a newbie...
Did rendered to a 10 bit uncompressed file which works fine with the Decklink card so my worries were unnecessary.
I'll play with the settings some more to get a better feel for all of this.
Thanks to both of you for the guidance.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 10:28 pm

William Winstead wrote:Thanks for your response Andrew.
I think the mystery is solved.
Have looked at all the options in "Preferences" and "Project Settings" and can't see anything that doesn't look correct.
NDxHR always gives the error message "Failed to set the videomode on the video i/o device".

Decided to look at the specs on the card and I think that is the root of the problem, namely NDxHD and NDxHR are not supported formats. Guess I should have looked here first but never dreamed the card wouldn't support that format.

Here's what is listed:
AVC-Intra
AVCHD
Canon XF (MPEG-2)
H.264
DV
DVCPRO50
DVCPROHD
DPX
HDV
XDCAM EX/HD/HD422
Apple ProRes 4444/422 HQ/422/LT/Proxy
Uncompressed 8-bit 4:2:2
Uncompressed 10-bit 4:2:2

More steps added to the workflow (sigh) ....

Thanks again - William

Ignore this list- it's meaningless. Not sure what purpose does it serve!

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 10:30 pm

Are you talking about Resolve?

Whatever Resolve can load you should be able to preview. Resolve decodes files and sends uncompressed data to the card. Probably you have unsupported fps- e.g. 50/60p.

What is your DNxHR file? Frame size and fps.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostFri Apr 28, 2017 11:40 pm

roger.magnusson wrote:The codecs listed are the codecs supported by the Media Express application included in the driver. The actual hardware doesn't care about codecs since frames are uncompressed before they're sent to the card.

Like Andrew said, it will work in for example DaVinci Resolve provided that the Video Monitoring settings are set to a resolution, bit depth and chroma subsampling mode that the card and monitor can display.

Well, this list is NOT even what MediaExpress supports. It's meaningless list :) Always been.

Return to Post Production