DaVinci Resolve 9 - graphic card selection

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

trylobit

DaVinci Resolve 9 - graphic card selection

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 9:44 pm

Hi!

I'm planning on buying BMD Cinema Camera, so I downloaded some footage and DaVinci Resolve Lite 9 beta.

First of all the beta crushes my Mid 2010 21,5" iMac (first time I've seen something like this: I drag some files to add and then grey screen and information that my computer crashed).

I've installed DaVinci Resolve Lite 8 and it works , but even working with HD footage from 5D Mark II is really a pain, it takes ages to refresh the preview window. It did inform me that my configuration is not optimal and that it does not support my ATI Radeon HD 4670, therefore:

I am planning on selling my iMac and buying a new computer, so that I can work with RAW files from Cinema Camera - probably compile Hackintosh (FYI a computer assembled as normal PC, but with Mac OS X installed - my friends did it and you can get a Mac Pro for a price of iMac).

Here is my question: which graphic card should I choose to work with RAW files from BMD CC in Resolve in order to grade it smoothly?

Gigabyte GeForce GTX560Ti 1GB DDR5 256bit PCI-E (GV-N560OC-1G)
Gigabyte GeForce CUDA GTX660Ti 2GB (GV-N66TOC-2GD)
Gigabyte GF GTX670 2048MB 256bit OC (GV-N670OC-2GD)

Thank you in advance!

Chris Hocking

Re: DaVinci Resolve 9 - graphic card selection

PostMon Sep 03, 2012 11:43 pm

Have you had a proper read through the Config Recommendations?

Andy Mees

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 12:35 am

Hey T.,

I built a couple of budget edit station PCs recently, with a mind to the possibility of using them as Resolve workstations as well. Due to the strict budget involved, dual GPU's or indeed a recommended card was not affordable, so I put a GTX560Ti (1GB) in each. So far these PC's are performing tolerably well with Resolve 9 beta 3 but obviously are far from awesome.

If you can afford it, go with a card like the GTX580 or better ... or (much) better still, dual GPU's.

Cheers
Andy
Last edited by Andy Mees on Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let's have a return to the glory days, when press releases for new versions included text like "...with over 300 new features and improvements that professional editors and colorists have asked for."

trylobit

PostTue Sep 04, 2012 7:07 am

Chris Hocking wrote:Have you had a proper read through the Config Recommendations?

I will right now. I didn't find this information on resolve site.

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 8:25 pm

In a Mac environment, the 600 series cards are only supported under Mountain Lion. I assume this is also true in a Hackintosh situation. If you are using Mountain Lion, any of the cards you have listed should work. Ideally, you want as much VRAM as you can get. So one of the 2GB cards would be preferred. The 670 card should be the best of the 3 listed.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

DavidSimmons

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 8:46 pm

What about and Mac 8-Core with a ATI Radeon HD 5770 Graphics or ATI Radeon HD 5870 Graphics card. is there going to be any issues with these?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 12:54 am

The only issue with that setup is that performance will be poor and the Noise Reduction function won't work (assuming you have the full Resolve version that supports NR). See the latest DaVinci Resolve 9 Configuration for Mac guide for suggested hardware configs: http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/support ... lse&os=mac
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Javier Sanchez

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 2:24 am

So wich one is the best gpu for mac? in the config manual the 570 is listed as the best for single gpu systems, is there any better?
I would like to empower my system i have the ati5870 as gui, and nvidia 4000 as gpu,
I wonder if i set the nvidia 4000 as gui which will be the best GPU for mac, and where do i buy it, as video cards for mac are not easy to find.

Mac Pro 12core 2,66ghz
Javier Sanchez Ortiz
Colorist (Telecine-Digital)
Owner

EnGamaDos S.p.A
www.engamados.cl

DavidSimmons

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 2:17 pm

For what I can tell Nvidia does not have Mini Display ports. I have two Apple 27 monitors. That does not work for me. What other options are there?

DavidSimmons

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 3:16 pm

I have been reading that many users install both, ATI Radeon and NVIDIA 4000 or 5000. Anyone have any experience with this type of setup. Will I benefit for both cards even if I am using the ATI Radeon for my two 27 in monitors?

paul schefz

PostSat Sep 08, 2012 10:05 pm

read through the info....it says:when using a separate GUI GPU in mountain lion, you can use one GTX 690 in an external chassis for image processing....will this card fit in the sonnet tech echo express TB box?
i would love to use this set up with my imac and MBP via TB....i am assuming that this can manage the raw DNGs from the BMC?

Peter Chamberlain

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 6:13 am

The current Thunderbolt version bandwidth is not optimised for GPU use and is more suited for I/O and disk connection applications.
If you want to use a GPU in an external chassis please select one from the options in the config guide.
Peter
DaVinci Resolve Product Manager

Chris Hocking

PostSun Sep 09, 2012 6:23 am

If you want to use a GPU in an external chassis please select one from the options in the config guide.

Even though it's
to use an external graphics card purely for CUDA acceleration - the only tests I've been able to find are with Adobe Premiere and require "hacks" to get it to work.

Has anyone actually got an external CUDA card working over Thunderbolt with Resolve 8 or 9?

Return to Post Production