Clean Mac OS Install -- choppy playback in Adobe

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Matt Klein

Clean Mac OS Install -- choppy playback in Adobe

PostThu May 04, 2017 5:01 pm

Hello, I was suddenly having choppy / stuttering / dropouts playback in Adobe Audition and Premiere, so I did a clean Mac OS El Capitan install onto another drive, with only Audition installed. Nothing else running or installed at all.

The playback will stutter every few seconds using a Blackmagic Decklink PCI card for Audio and Video out in using the latest versions of Desktop Video drivers and Adobe.

Quicktime player is fine, no issues. I then installed Final Cut Pro X just to check and the playback is fine there, too. Using internal speaker had no issues, so it must be a Blackmagic in Adobe thing.

Did PRAM and SMC fixes to no effects. Again, this is a completely clean install. The buffer size is max size.

Okay, just wondering if anyone else is having the problem. Thanks much.

Matt Klein

Re: Clean Mac OS Install -- choppy playback in Adobe

PostSat May 06, 2017 12:05 am

So I installed the earlier Desktop Video driver, 10.5.4 which is mentioned elsewhere as having better compatibility with Mac, but the results are the same.

Especially when playing a generated tone in Adobe Audition -- the glitch every few seconds is quite bad.

Matt Klein

Re: Clean Mac OS Install -- choppy playback in Adobe

PostSun May 07, 2017 7:07 am

So this problem was resolved. After trying everything, when I changed the input hardware in Audition to match the Blackmagic output, the choppy playback was fixed. My usual Roland USB input device was unplugged, which changed the input to the computer line-in, and that must have caused a problem with the Blackmagic Decklink and Adobe word clock.

Edited to add: I have been using this Decklink PCI card for years for a ton of broadcast sound mixing, and the driver support for an older mac device is truly excellent. Thanks to Blackmagic for keeping the drivers solid!

Return to Post Production