Workflow and transcoding (proxy files?)

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Udo Mundloch

Workflow and transcoding (proxy files?)

PostSun May 07, 2017 1:27 am

Hi, it's me again :)
First, I'll try to phrase my questions and findings in a few sentences. In the end, I'll be ranting a little.
For starters, for one reason or another, I'm stuck (and will be stuck) with mp4/h.264 videos (only option of the camera). Resolution right now is 1080p. If I buy the next model, 4K/UHD. As far as I understood, when color grading (and this is needed, as I record diving videos), an intraframe codec is the best option. Now, after playing around with a lot of 3rd party software (not knowing that resolve can do this!!!! Argh), I found out how to transcode with resolve.
Findings: Video transcoding is :evil: There are problems with files, rendered by resolve, when trying to use software, such as handbrake, and others. And, FFmpeg? Is that some kind of inside joke? Transcoding via command line? I mean... really?
Questions: What is my best option, when transcoding in Resolve? Delivering/Rendering the video without any changes to a proxy file? Where is this large file, if I don't save it, while working on it? I just tested it on a 2 minute video. From 170MB to 5GB (after rendering). Is it in a temp file? Is it really transcoded, if I just did it internally? Are there differences in the quality and/or formation of artifacts, whether I use a proxy file or directly work on the video? Is there any problem with the free version of Resolve and UHD video editing, that I should know of, before I buy the camera? :lol:

Now, my small rant: I had asked in a previous post, how to transcode videos, as I didn't know of Resolve's capabilities. An older version didn't have mp4 support, as far as I remember. And just as I was happy to be able to do it with streamclip, I wasn't so happy with the resulting file size. After hours of trying to get any software running, that uses x264, I gave up. Especially after reminding me, why I do all this: Right now, I play around with a few 1080p videos, to learn using Resolve and to test the resulting quality, when starting out with mp4 - to evaluate if investing in a certain new camera is worthwhile. And the "4k problem" nearly drove me crazy. Finding any software, that can transcode mp4 to dnxhr and back to mp4? In UHD? Right now, I'm really happy, as Resolve not only does the job well, but also keeps the resulting file size not too far from the source. And, at least the menu tells me, that this will be similar in 4k. Of course, delivery in mp4 is not possible, but quicktime with h264 or several other options will do. Forgot to mention: The plan is, to be able to upload the resulting videos for streaming. If there is a optimal codec/container pair, that is good for this job, let me know.
And while I know that I just put in toooo much time in a new "hobby", of which I have no clue, I'm really ... let's call it unhappy, with the sh*tshow, that is video (editing and transcoding) software. If I google a problem, 80% of the results are fake blog posts, that direct me to the next generic 25 bucks greatest software, ever. I have never seen that for any other thing, that I googled. Yes, single results, here and there. But not all of them - and faked so well. Okay, that needed to get out of me.

Return to Post Production