Minimum HDD speeds for uncompressed 1080p/60fps MJPEG?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Red Rigos

Minimum HDD speeds for uncompressed 1080p/60fps MJPEG?

PostWed May 10, 2017 8:19 pm

Hi guys, so I currently own a BM Intensity Shuttle that I can only use for 720p/60fps capture. Since I don't want to use 1080i/60, I'm considering dropping the Shuttle for an Intensity Pro 4k for 1080p/60.

My question now is, while uncompressed 720p/60 capture was perfectly fine even for my USB3 external HDDs, I'm certain that I will start running into massive frame drops once I bump that up to 1080p. FYI, I'm using a 5TB WD MyBook for all my captures since it's my largest drive so far.

Is it about time I start looking into a RAID setup or is it not worth it, and I should probably just stick to 720p/60 for now? I do game footage capture to make trailers for my portfolio, so this is not something I get paid for (for now), so money is definitely a factor UNLESS there are enough benefits to justify the investment.

Am I worrying for nothing? Will a single 7200rpm HDD be able to handle uncompressed 1080p/60 MJPEGS? If not, my minimum expense would be looking like 2x4tb HDDs and perhaps a RAID enclosure since my PC case cant really take any more inside it.

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Minimum HDD speeds for uncompressed 1080p/60fps MJPEG?

PostWed May 10, 2017 10:32 pm

Just use DNxHR. You will be fine with single drive.

Red Rigos

PostWed May 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:Just use DNxHR. You will be fine with single drive.

cool... is DNxHR better than DNxHD? I need to figure out how to get Media Express to give me that option. The closest thing I have to get me any sort of compression is the mJPG option. I really wish this thing was capable of doing compressed formats :cry:

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu May 11, 2017 10:55 am

It's bit better, but resolutions is unrestricted.
You won't get MediaExpress to capture to something which is not on the list in the settings.
Use Resolve for capture. It may support DNxHR, not sure. If you don't need RS-422 control you may also use ffmpeg to capture. METUS is quite good on PC, but also expensive.

Red Rigos

PostThu May 11, 2017 4:30 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:It's bit better, but resolutions is unrestricted.
You won't get MediaExpress to capture to something which is not on the list in the settings.
Use Resolve for capture. It may support DNxHR, not sure. If you don't need RS-422 control you may also use ffmpeg to capture. METUS is quite good on PC, but also expensive.

oh I wasn't aware Resolve could be used to capture footage. Would you happen to know if it supports 5.1 audio capture?

5.1 audio capture is really one of my primary reasons for using Media Express and I'd love to know if there are others out there that are compatible with the Intensity which could potentially capture in other formats AS WELL as 5.1 audio

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu May 11, 2017 6:10 pm

Red Rigos wrote:

oh I wasn't aware Resolve could be used to capture footage. Would you happen to know if it supports 5.1 audio capture?

5.1 audio capture is really one of my primary reasons for using Media Express and I'd love to know if there are others out there that are compatible with the Intensity which could potentially capture in other formats AS WELL as 5.1 audio

Resolve does 2/4/6/8/12/16 channels depending on the setting (card capabilities). On Mac it can capture to DPX, ProRes, DNxHD. On PC you won't have ProRes, but DNxHD should be there ( I assume).

Red Rigos

PostThu May 11, 2017 9:11 pm

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Red Rigos wrote:

Resolve does 2/4/6/8/12/16 channels depending on the setting (card capabilities). On Mac it can capture to DPX, ProRes, DNxHD. On PC you won't have ProRes, but DNxHD should be there ( I assume).

I will attempt a capture on Resolve tonight and see if I can do 5.1 and a compressed video format at the same time. This could solve all my issues if it works!

Red Rigos

PostTue May 23, 2017 12:37 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:
Red Rigos wrote:

I tried capturing DNxHD via Resolve but the audio is crackling every time. So far it looks like I'm stuck with MJPEG :(

Return to Post Production