Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Not detected

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Shahin Lalla

Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Not detected

PostSat May 13, 2017 9:58 am

Hi guys

I'm trying to connect my Shuttle Intensity Thunderbolt to my macbook pro as well as my macbook air but I keep on getting a message, "No Desktop Video Device Detected"

I'm running OS Sierra on both my macs and have downloaded the latest version of Desktop Video.
Im using an original apple Thunderbolt cable and got no errors during my installation.

I tried searching the forum for answers but couldnt find any.

Could you guys point me in the right direction on how to resolve this issue.

Any help will be useful.

Thanks in advance.

Regards
Shahin

Dave Thornburrow

Re: Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt Not detected

PostTue May 16, 2017 4:49 pm

I am having the same issue.
I bought the Shuttle thunderbolt yesterday, it connected to my Macbook yesterday, but not today!
When running a system report the Macbook shows it is connected to the Shuttle, but the Desktop Video Utility says "No Desktop Video Device Detected".
This tells me it is not hardware but a software conflict???
I am running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6 and Desktop Video Utility has been updated.
Help Please!

Massimiliano Celindano

PostTue May 16, 2017 11:28 pm

Which version of Desktop Video have you installed?

Dave Thornburrow

PostWed May 17, 2017 12:42 am

Hi there,
I'm running the most recent 10.9 version.
But thinking an update may have given me a conflict I tried uninstalling and downloaded 10.7 and then 10.8.6. Still nothing is working

Colin Barrett

PostWed May 17, 2017 8:23 am

I've used a Shuttle Thunderbolt on MacOS since 2012 and of all the Blackmagic hardware devices I have it's the most troublesome - to the point where it was recently put back in its box and replaced (on one system) with an Ultrastudio Express.

My first suggestion is to disconnect the Shuttle, completely uninstall Desktop Video (use AppZapp or similar to completely remove all the components) and the search on the BM Support page for Desktop Video 10.5.4. Install it, connect your Shuttle and then restart your Mac. You may find that Media Express now finds the hardware.

This problem has existed for a few years now and I do wonder if Blackmagic's engineers have bothered to consider this problem on behalf of its customers. I have continued to experience this ridiculous problem for 4 years and with every new MacOS and Desktop Video implementation.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Dave Thornburrow

PostWed May 17, 2017 1:24 pm

Thanks for the advice. I tried using the uninstaller and then reinstall older versions with no success. I will try uninstalling using 3rd party software, but are you referring to AppZapp or AppZapper?

Dave Thornburrow

PostWed May 17, 2017 10:27 pm

I'm growing increasingly frustrated with the Shuttle Thunderbolt.
I have:
- used AppZapper as previously recommended to wipe out the old software, however it found the same files as the uninstaller (no hidden files)
- I tried downgrading to Desktop Video 10.7 which came with the original disk (which worked the first day)
- I tried installing Desktop Video 10.5.4 as suggested in a post
- I have upgraded my system OSX software to Sierra 10.12.5

I can still see the Shuttle when doing a "System Report" in the "About This Mac" panel. So it is connected, I just can't see it with Desktop Video, and hence can't connect any devices.

I cannot afford an Ultrastudio Express. Would an UltraStudio Mini Recorder or Shuttle USB3.0 work better? or will I just run into the same problem again.

Help!?!?

Return to Post Production