Alternative To Softron MovieRecorder?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ben Kleschinsky

Alternative To Softron MovieRecorder?

PostThu May 18, 2017 5:33 pm

I just purchased a Black Magic Mini Recorder and want to capture in the format ProRes Proxy in real time, Softron's MovieRecorder3 software works flawlessly for this but the price is very steep. I understand you get what you pay for, but are there any alternatives that would accomplish what I am after?

Ben Kleschinsky

Re: Alternative To Softron MovieRecorder?

PostSat May 20, 2017 1:23 pm

After searching our for much time testing ten different pieces of software I found the perfect solution that allows the BM mini recorder to capture compressed video files in real time. First OBS, VLC, QuickTime Broadcaster, CaptureMate HD, Debut, and Iris do not work.

I cannot reccomend their latest software Capto as the software does not handle motion well at all, but an older software called "Voila!" works flawlessly, and because it's older it's free. I couldn't be more satisfied with the results, the screen capture software natively detects the device and had no problem recording in 1080p @60fps in small file sizes. A one hour capture came out to be under 3GB, so now the file sizes are usable to place in FCP.

Return to Post Production