Shooting RAW time lapse - What is input color space?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Fedorov Vitaly

Shooting RAW time lapse - What is input color space?

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 2:01 pm

Hi.
I'm shooting time lapse with my DSLR in RAW.
When I edit the sequence in Davinci, does it makes sense to change the input color space from REC709 to sRBG? Or maybe it would be even better to shoot in AdobeRGB and use this color space in DR?
What to you think?

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Shooting RAW time lapse - What is input color space?

PostThu Jun 01, 2017 5:16 pm

You can shoot in Adobe RGB, but in video world you will "have" to use either Rec.709 (so all additional colors will be lost) or e.g. P3, but then this is only available in some new devices. It all depends how you are going to view these masters. At the end nothing stops you to shoot in wide gamut (so you have good assets to start with) and from this produce eg. Rec.709 and P3 masters.

JPOwens

Re: Shooting RAW time lapse - What is input color space?

PostFri Jun 02, 2017 4:22 pm

Fedorov Vitaly wrote:When I edit the sequence in Davinci, does it makes sense to change the input color space from REC709 to sRBG? Or maybe it would be even better to shoot in AdobeRGB and use this color space in DR?
What to you think?

Edit?

If you don't intend on exporting anything it wouldn't matter what you use. It always depends on your delivery.

If you are worried about philosophically matching input with a scene-referenced workflow, maybe you should investigate ACEScct, pick your Input Transform to whatever you think is relevant and then determine your output according to the Display Reference. That's what color management is about.

jPo, CSI

Return to Post Production