Media Express & Capturing in 4 x 3

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Jack Antcliff

Media Express & Capturing in 4 x 3

PostFri Jun 16, 2017 11:45 pm

Hi,

New to the forum so hopefully this ends up in the right place.

I am trying to capture an output from my VCR however when it gets to Media express the 4x3 clips have been stretched to 16x9 (I need them in their original 4x3 aspect.) They appear to be stretched when they run through my AV to HDMI converter so I need to take them from 16x9 to 4x3 again when they get to Media express.

Can Media Express capture in 4x3 and what settings do I need to change within Media Express and Desktop Video Utility to make this happen.

Any assistance is appreciated.

Jack

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Media Express & Capturing in 4 x 3

PostTue Jun 20, 2017 11:37 pm

In this case aspect is just a metadata- it's always captures 720x576 or 720x486 frame depending on PAL/NTSC.
MediaExpress does show 16x9 preview, but it actually flags (or use to flag) all files as 4x3 which is a pain. In your case all should be good.
There was a setting in preference to stop showing preview as 16x9.

Colin Barrett

Re: Media Express & Capturing in 4 x 3

PostMon Jun 26, 2017 10:48 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:There was a setting in preference to stop showing preview as 16x9.

There is, but by default ME's preview window should always display true 4:3 when a 4:3 input is set. It all depends on the BM hardware being used - check the settings for those instead and then make sure ME's preferences match them.
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Return to Post Production