Media Composer 8.9

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Andrew Findlay

Media Composer 8.9

PostMon Aug 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has used driver 10.9.5 yet with Media Composer 8.9 and if it is safe to up-grade. (Mac OS 10.12.5)

Also, I have just realised the UltraStudio Express with Thunderbolt 2 is discontinued. Is it still supported with the 10.9.5 driver?

If not, is it necessary to get the UltraStudio HD mini? And is that compatible with a Thunderbolt 2 Mac cylinder, via adapter?

Many thanks for any insight...

Andrew Findlay

Colin Barrett

Re: Media Composer 8.9

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 11:59 am

I recently installed a Ultrastudio Express (which as you say uses Thunderbolt 2) on a new Mac Mini running Sierra with the latest updates and Blackmagic Desktop Video with the latest updates. Media Express works fine.

I don't understand why Blackmagic has stopped producing Ultrastudio Express. It's a fabulous interface, and I need a second one but can't now source one without paying through the nose!
Blackmagic Teranex 2D, Ultrastudio Express, Intensity Shuttle (Thunderbolt), Two H.264 Pro Recorders (Mac OSX) & lots of old VTRs used for digital archiving of legacy video formats for major libraries, broadcasters, universities and public archives.

Andrew Findlay

Re: Media Composer 8.9

PostWed Aug 16, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi Colin,

Thanks for posting your experience re the Express and new driver. I just hope that it continues to be supported for a while yet - I only recently had to ditch the Matrox MXO2, due to it being dropped abruptly!

Can anyone from BM can say for how long the Express will be supported…?

regards,

Andrew

Return to Post Production