Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt won't recognize HDMI input

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Michael Shade

Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt won't recognize HDMI input

PostThu Aug 17, 2017 12:25 pm

I have an Intensity Shuttle thunderbolt. I am unable to get it to recognize any HDMI input. I have tried on a late 2016 macbook pro, a 2013 macbook pro, and a late 2013 iMac, and none of them will recognize the HDMI input.

I have tried connecting a Canon Vixia HV30, a Sony A7sii, and another macbook pro via an HDMI cable, and the shuttle won't recognize any of the hdmi inputs. I have tried three different HDMI cables.

Here is a screenshot of what the desktop video application looks like whenever I plug something into it:

I just bought this yesterday for an event I have to capture live tonight. I need this equipment to work. Please help.

Michael Shade

Re: Intensity Shuttle Thunderbolt won't recognize HDMI input

PostFri Aug 18, 2017 8:22 pm

Gilbert Lopez Jr of Blackmagic support helped me troubleshoot this - thanks to him.

I'm posting the solution here in case it's helpful to someone out there.

You have to carefully manage the resolution and framerates of both your input hardware and your capture software/Desktop Video Setup in order to make everything play nicely together. Here are the configurations I figured out:

Macbook Pro
In display preferences, once the HDMI cable is connected to the Shuttle, find the window for BMD HDMI and choose "Scaled" instead of "Default for display." Then set the resolution to 1080i instead of 1080p. Then go into Desktop Video Setup and select 1080i60 for your output format. Do the same in whatever program you're using to capture your video.

Sony A7sii
The trick here is in the recording format and your HDMI output settings. Set your HDMI resolution to 1080p (not 1080i), and set your HDMI output to 24p. This is the only resolution the Shuttle is able to recognize as an input, for some reason. Then make sure your in-camera recording settings are HD 24p - XAVC and AVCHD both worked for me. Then go into Desktop Video Setup and select 1080p24 for your output format. Do the same in whatever program you're using to capture your video.

Return to Post Production