Phantom flex and resolv 9

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Elabuelo

Phantom flex and resolv 9

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 11:59 am

Hello

I have tried to import some .cine to Resolv but i get creazy colors.
I did import like 20 clips, all of them whit the seme settings. The first 5 were ok. But the rest givme some magenta tone. I can not loose my time takeing out that herror by color correction.
It ther eny bug for the .cine? Or just its not suported on Resolve?

Thx

El Abuelo
Diego "El Abuelo" Lopez
DIT/AC
Colombia, Shout America

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

Re: Phantom flex and resolv 9

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 12:04 pm

Elabuelo wrote:Hello

I did import like 20 clips, all of them whit the seme settings. The first 5 were ok. But the rest givme some magenta tone. I can not loose my time takeing out that herror by color correction.

Thx

El Abuelo

If you could upload the file somewhere, and send us a link at davincihelp (at) blackmagicdesign.com, we'll take a look at why the files are not working.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

Elabuelo

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Thx for the quick answered.
And i realy like your new forum.

I will upload some clips maby tomorrow, right now im on set.

Thx
Diego "El Abuelo" Lopez
DIT/AC
Colombia, Shout America

kyled

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 3:35 pm

I would love any information on the difference between the way .cine files are handled in DaVinci 9 as opposed to DaVinci 8, or if there are additional setttings for handling white points in the RAW advanced options that have either not been implemented or that I'm not seeing. I have a fairly large Phantom Flex project, albiet completed, where all of the Grades in DaVinci 9 (Beta 1-3) do not work correctly; they all end up just appearing as monochrome black and green.

It's almost as though a pre-applied LUT is being used to interperet the RAW .cine files on import that differs from the way they were being read in DaVinci 8. Maybe DaVinci 9 is doing a better job actually, but it's still creating problems. Luckily I keep a few bootable copies of my OS so I'm not exactly concerned about it all that much for this particular project, but it be great to get to the bottom of it, or just to make sure there is a consistant transition between the two versions for Phantom files. I'd like to be able to use some of the new features for testing deliverables. I can always just continue that particular project in DaVinci 8 since it doesn't look like it would affect brand new .cine projects moving forward.

My workaround so far is to export a DPX sequence as a final master and make a new project. Once I do that, everything looks fantastic and I can make all of the deliverables I want. However, accessing the original RAW files without having all of the grades go wacky would be ideal.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 3:37 pm

kyled wrote:I would love any information on the difference between the way .cine files are handled in DaVinci 9 as opposed to DaVinci 8, or if there are additional setttings for handling white points in the RAW advanced options that have either not been implemented or that I'm not seeing. I have a fairly large Phantom Flex project, albiet completed, where all of the Grades in DaVinci 9 (Beta 1-3) do not work correctly; they all end up just appearing as monochrome black and green.

It's almost as though a pre-applied LUT is being used to interperet the RAW .cine files on import that differs from the way they were being read in DaVinci 8. Maybe DaVinci 9 is doing a better job actually, but it's still creating problems. Luckily I keep a few bootable copies of my OS so I'm not exactly concerned about it all that much for this particular project, but it be great to get to the bottom of it, or just to make sure there is a consistant transition between the two versions for Phantom files. I'd like to be able to use some of the new features for testing deliverables. I can always just continue that particular project in DaVinci 8 since it doesn't look like it would affect brand new .cine projects moving forward.

My workaround so far is to export a DPX sequence as a final master and make a new project. Once I do that, everything looks fantastic and I can make all of the deliverables I want. However, accessing the original RAW files without having all of the grades go wacky would be ideal.

Could you please send us a file at davincihelp (at) blackmagicdesign.com and we'll check it out.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

kyled

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 3:44 pm

Will do!

I'll send as soon as I'm in front of the workstation later tonight.

thanks for the quick response!!

Christopher Haufe

PostWed Aug 22, 2012 5:28 pm

Elabuelo wrote:Hello

Thx

El Abuelo

At our lab, we've seen this magenta hue on .cine files as well, and it can be arduous re-balancing everything before actually starting to work on proper colour correction. But we have not found a simple fix in post.

However, there seems to be way to prevent the problem when the files are created on set through PCC 2. While working with Phantom techs on this issue, we have found that if the "Packed" box is left unchecked during the file export to .cine, the resulting clips no longer have a pink wash when bringing them into Resolve. And we have found this to be true in both Resolve 8 and 9.

I'm not familiar enough with the Phantom Camera Control software to know for what workflows this "packed" option is appropriate to use, but from the Phantom Flex Manual:

"It is possible to save the clips with the same 10 bit log data that is on the CineMag by checking the “Packed” check box in the Save dialog box. Files saved this way will be smaller and faster to save than the 16 bit files, but there is still limited third-party support for these files. Make sure that your post-production tools are compatible with these files before creating them."

This may not help your current material, but it may be worth a discussion with the camera team before the next batch of Flex footage.
Last edited by Christopher Haufe on Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elabuelo

PostThu Aug 23, 2012 3:57 am

very iteresting Chaufe, Next week will go to a rental and check it.
actualy I just reuse a work for tomorrow becaus I can't deal whit the post houses, they always get problems whit Phantom .cine, so until im not get a perfect solution for them I won't work whit Phantom, Im a DIT/Data Manager.

salu2
Diego "El Abuelo" Lopez
DIT/AC
Colombia, Shout America

Return to Post Production