Mark clips in timeline...?

Get answers to your questions about color grading, editing and finishing with DaVinci Resolve.
  • Author

Edith Weil

Mark clips in timeline...?

PostSun Oct 08, 2017 5:56 pm

Hello. I'm a picture editor, in the process of adopting Resolve as my primary NLE. So far I'm liking it very much, except for what appears to be a small, but important oversight.

It seems I cannot throw a mark on a piece of footage once it's been cut into the timeline. Am I missing a setting? I am NOT talking about marking the timeline along the top. I mean the extremely common practice of marking clips once they are cut into a timeline. For example, if I need to replace a word in the preferred take with a cleaner version from another take, and I want to mark a sync point on both clips to line them up, or I want to mark where a sound effect goes, or use a mark to note something about a shot on the shot itself, or countless other reasons.

Does Resolve do this? And if it doesn't, I'd like to request it.

Thanks for your help.

Peter Cave

Re: Mark clips in timeline...?

PostTue Oct 10, 2017 3:00 am

No timeline clip selected, means a marker will be placed on the timeline ruler display.
A timeline clip selected, will add a marker to the selected clip.
I thought you may have tried this already as that's how most edit software works with markers.
If you are doing this and it's not working, make sure you have not changed the marker keyboard mapping from the default setting.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Glenn Sakatch

PostSat Oct 14, 2017 7:20 pm

also make sure you are doing markers and not flags. It seems to me one of those only did timeline items, while the other did both clip and timeline...if memory serves me correctly.

Peter Cave

PostMon Oct 16, 2017 1:52 am

Flags are to mark an entire media clip. Markers work the same as Premiere, Avid FCP etc.
Resolve 18.6.6 Mac OSX 14.4.1 Sonoma
Mac Studio Max 32GB

Return to DaVinci Resolve