UltraStudio 4k and Flame 2018.3 for Mac

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Steven_Mceuen

UltraStudio 4k and Flame 2018.3 for Mac

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 4:43 pm

Hello,

I am considering switching from smoke for mac to flame for mac. I uninstalled smoke 2018 as my license is about to end and installed the flame 2018.3 demo.

I cannot get external video output through my ultrasudio 4k via sdi. I have no problem with resolve, ae or black magic player.

I tried reverting to 10.6.x drivers as mentioned on autodesk site but still nothing.

Is flame for mac supported? If so any tips to get external output setup?

Thanks,

Steven

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: UltraStudio 4k and Flame 2018.3 for Mac

PostThu Nov 09, 2017 9:56 pm

This is not question to BM but rather to Autodesk. They are quite strict and detailed in terms what is supported or not. Read Flame documentation.
It's not BM which adds support for Flame preview but Autodesk.

Steven_Mceuen

PostSat Nov 11, 2017 6:11 pm

Well, it would seem to me that this is an ideal place to ask questions about bmd hardware and how it interacts with applications.

I was hoping to run across someone who might of seen the same thing.

For the record, under /autodesk/flame_2018/utilities/ there is an app called Flame Setup.app. You have to run this to select video and audio hardware options. It is different in smoke in that you just go into preferences within the app to enable bmd output. In flame, you have to run the setup app first to even be able to adjust the preference.

Steven

Samuel Falardeau

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi,

You indeed need to select BMD as both the Video and Audio Device in the General tab of the Flame Setup app in order to use BlackMagic Design hardware in Flame.

But, you also need to enable the Preview timings in the Preview tab of Flame Setup.

Select the ones you need and choose "BMD" in the "Preview Device" dropdown at the bottom of the list.

Let me know if you still can't access your UltraStudio 4K in Flame.

Sam.

Andrew Kolakowski

PostMon Nov 13, 2017 11:24 pm

Steven_Mceuen wrote:Well, it would seem to me that this is an ideal place to ask questions about bmd hardware and how it interacts with applications.

I was hoping to run across someone who might of seen the same thing.

For the record, under /autodesk/flame_2018/utilities/ there is an app called Flame Setup.app. You have to run this to select video and audio hardware options. It is different in smoke in that you just go into preferences within the app to enable bmd output. In flame, you have to run the setup app first to even be able to adjust the preference.

Steven

You can always ask, but this is not Flame forum, so you shoukd start with Flame manual and setup. Once you know this is correct and preview still not working then you may go further and try asking here.
There are not that many Flame users here and BM won't help you much if at all. Also most Flame users use AJA as it's more reliable (specially in Flame).

As I said- if you not familiar with Flame setup start with its manual. Some things in Flame are done in very old fassion way.

AdamTaylor

PostMon Jan 08, 2018 10:53 am

I'm running Flame for Mac 2018.3 on Ultrastudio 4k and as mentiond on previous post, there are a few settings you need to select in the Flame setup app.

I have also recently switched from the 10.6 drivers that Autodesk recommend to 10.9.7, because the 10.6 drivers are very buggy and were causing my system to have multiple errors with system audio. It was so bad i could not even start ProTools, let alone use it.

BMD even advised me not to use the 10.6 drivers as they were aware of the system errors it caused. I have only been on 10.9.7 a couple of days but its been working fine so far, and i can also use ProTools again for my audio mixing - although the Ultrastudio is no longer working with ProTools like it did back when i ran Smoke 2017 and i have to use a separate audio interface for that now...but at least i can do everything on the one mac again.

adam

Return to Post Production