Brand new...

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Evan Anthony

Brand new...

PostWed Sep 05, 2012 8:43 pm

Greetings All,

I have spent a few days looking on hear to get some answers. I was hoping I could post a few questions for what I could not find clearly.

1)Is there an issue playing back a Sequence and having the video play back at it's true frame rate (29.97, 59.94, 23.98) with audio. This would be mostly used for color of 30-90+ minute HD docs that might have SD footage in them and were conformed in a Avid or FCP using the DNx Codec or H264, Prores, HXcam, DVCpro.

If so how are people screening with clients?

2) is there a good argument for picking a platform (MAC/PC)?

I think that is it for now.

Thank you so much,
Evan

Chris Hocking

Re: Brand new...

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 2:14 am

1. I don't believe so. We grade all our sessions with sync sound. However, the more colour correction you apply, the more likely you are not to get real-time playback - so it really depends on your system.

2. There's not much difference between Resolve on Mac and Resolve on PC, apart from the ability to read and write different codecs (i.e. you can only write to ProRes on a Mac currently). Personally, I prefer to work with Mac OS X over Windows - but you definitely have better and more hardware options with a PC. At the end of the day, it probably just comes down to budget.

Evan Anthony

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 am

Thank you.

We were just Loading in a 10min ProRes Seq from FCP to test. Did nothing to it and it would not play back in real time. and the audio would also studder. We called support and they did mention that there could be an issue with playing back audio so it made me ?

I also noticed that in the top left window of the color tab. When I hit play it never got past saying it was playing back at 24FPS. And this was a 1080i 29.97/59.94 Seq.

This was on a PC with 10gigs of RAM and 4 x Quadro4000 cards.

Using the Terrablock (http://www.facilis.com/) storage system that connect using Fiber cards/cables

-Evan

Chris Hocking

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 3:43 am

We're running Resolve 8 - so maybe there's a specific bug in Resolve 9 that affects audio playback?

It's worth running the Blackmagic Disk Speed Test utility on the Terrablock to make sure everything is playing properly.

I'm in Australia - so majority of the jobs we do are straight 25fps, so maybe that has something to do with it. However, we have done a 23.976fps job recently without any dramas.

It's worth triple checking all your Config's to making sure everything is consistent. There are a lot of different places in the Config where you can select the frame rate.

Evan Anthony

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 1:35 pm

thank you again,

Is it needed to render even if you just imported a Seq from FCP or Avid to play clean? maybe that was the problem with my test?

Return to Post Production