Feedback on this Workstation

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

TomasvHarten

Feedback on this Workstation

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 6:20 pm

Hey Guys,

We've been looking into getting a new workhorse. Our trusty Macbook pro's we've been using for the past couple of years really can't keep up with our RED footage. Especially in Resolve. I'd love to get some feedback on this.

We're about to make "the switch" from OSX to Windows and we'd want to start out with this rig:
    - ASRock X99 Taichi (2pci-e slots)
    - AMD Ryzen 7 1800X
    - MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X Trio
    - 32 gigs of DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX CMK32GX4M2A2666C16
    - Samsung 960 Pro 512GB
    - Blackmagic Design DeckLink Mini Monitor
And ofcourse add a tower, some power, cooling and whatnot.

(un)Fortunately we still have a 20TB Lacie 5big TB2 which is used as our main work drive. This works great on our Macbooks, however the internet is pretty shady when it comes to hooking this up to a Windows machine. There is one link that gives me some hope where Lacie claims to support Windows in their 5Big systems. But Thunderbolt 2 Controllers are hard to find these days and it's unclear to me (I've tried researching..) whether a Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 adapter would work. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Other than the above mentioned matter, how do you guys feel about the setup. Should we go for intel instead of Ryzen price/performance wise and should we get more RAM? We hardly do any compositing..

Looking forward to your 2 cents!

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Feedback on this Workstation

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 8:29 pm

If it's 6K RED or more then CPU won't be fast enough. RED requires very fast CPU.

Jack Fairley

Re: Feedback on this Workstation

PostMon Nov 20, 2017 9:43 pm

I would definitely go with an i9 or Threadripper processor if you're going to move to a new workstation, especially if you're using RED footage.
Ryzen 5800X3D
32GB DDR4-3600
RTX 3090
DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G
Resolve Studio 17.4.1
Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Return to Post Production