UltraStudio Mini Recorder sound import problem

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Christophe De Backer

UltraStudio Mini Recorder sound import problem

PostTue Nov 21, 2017 2:22 pm

Hello all

I'm having some problems with footage import via the UltraStudio Mini Recorder and Blackmagic Media Express.

The footage is on a VHS tape. I connected the VHS player via a SCART to HDMI converter. I connected the output from this converter via HDMI to the UltraStudio Mini Recorder. Importing the footage went almost perfectly. The sound is all wrong.

I have no idea how to describe the sound so I made a little video so you can hear the problem. It's in Dutch so you won't understand it, but you can hear the problem.

https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/932971995045785600

Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards
Christophe
Christophe

Christophe De Backer

Re: UltraStudio Mini Recorder sound import problem

PostSun Nov 26, 2017 2:34 pm

So apparently the SCART to HDMI converter I used doesn't support RGBS/RGB video. Upon closer inspection it only accept a CVBS signal from the SCART input and that should be the problem.

So now what? Is there some other way to go from the SCRART VCR to the UltraStudio Mini Recorder?
via SDI or HDMI.

Any suggestion would be great.

Marc Wielage

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 2:58 am

My advice: avoid the SCART and HDMI connectors entirely and hook up composite video and analog audio separately. I bet it will work much better. You will need a different capture card to handle analog composite video.

Note that for best results, you'll need a VHS machine with a built-in TBC. All capture cards (AJA, Blackmagic, everybody) don't work well with relatively-unstable VHS recordings, particularly when there's sync issues.
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Christophe De Backer

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 4:42 pm

Sadly I didn't find a VHS machine with a built-in TBC.

The suns issues only occured when I tried to import it in Blackmagic Media Express.
But if I'm correct with your info I think It should work with the Intensity Shuttle? That one has composite video and analog audio separately if I'm correct.
Christophe

Return to Post Production