Resolve cache location wont change

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

mark brindle

Resolve cache location wont change

PostSat Apr 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi

i installed Resolve Lite on a machine that had a volume called FAST. I have moved over to a newer machine and installed a new version of Resolve lite over the top of previous version that was 'migrated' and i no longer have a volume with that name on my new machine.

However, Resolve tries to write render cache files to volume FAST no matter what i do.
I have checked project settings and settings for Resolve and these do not contain any reference to volume FAST.
I did originally get 'failed to write' errors for volume FAST and it seems my MAC has decided to create me a folder called /Volumes/FAST on my system drive, which is worse as its the slowest drive in my system!

My GPU is doing 19fps so i probably dont need render cache but i don't want all these hidden files being created.

i have tried removing this folder i have restarted Resolve and reset the Media Storage folder settings multiple times to no avil.

Every new project i create tries to use this same Volume/FAST even though there is no reference to it.

Can i edit a file somewhere to get rid of it or should i remove Resolve completely and install it again ?
thanks

mark brindle

Re: Resolve cache location wont change

PostMon Apr 08, 2013 2:14 pm

Ive managed to fix this after going through every project and removing the correct and incorrect cache and gallery locations and saving. For some projects i had to do this multiple times to get the new locations to stick but its working now.

Dragonstone

PostMon Oct 08, 2018 10:24 pm

I have the same problem. But when I change the cache location it won't change. It will change for .gallery but not for CacheClip.
And I have the latest version of Resolve 15.1.1

Dragonstone

PostThu Oct 11, 2018 9:59 am

I've tried changing the settings in all my projects. Deleting them, starting a new project, uninstalling the program reinstalling it, deleting the the cache folders, assigning them to other drives, deleting the Blackmagic folders in documents and Roaming folders. Nothing works! :(

Can anybody help please?

Jason Tackaberry

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 12:09 am

Yup, same problem. The old cache location is removed, replaced by a new one, but Resolve insists on writing to the old location.

It's clearly a bug.

(Resolve 15.1.2 on Windows.)
Last edited by Jason Tackaberry on Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Tackaberry

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 12:42 am

I found a solution, but it's relatively advanced so not for the faint of heart ...

I noticed that if I created a new database, the new location was properly being used for cache.

I wanted to change my Resolve media storage location from F:\Data\Resolve to H:\Data\Resolve. Even after changing the media storage location in settings, I found a pile of stray references to the old location in my Resolve database directory. (I'm using the local database rather than postgres.)

So I just decided to brute-force a search-and-replace in my existing Resolve database directory.

This works on Windows using WSL (Windows Subsystem for Linux). The same should work on Linux, and I assume Mac too.

Code: Select all
user@host:~$ sudo apt-get install sqlite3

user@host:~$ cd /mnt/f/Projects/Video/Resolve\ Disk\ Database/

user@host:/mnt/f/Projects/Video/Resolve Disk Database/Resolve Projects$ find -name '*.xml' -exec grep -l 'F:\\Data\\Resolve' "{}" \; | xargs sed -i 's,F:\\Data\\Resolve,H:\\Data\\Resolve,'

user@host:/mnt/f/Projects/Video/Resolve Disk Database/Resolve Projects$ find -name '*.db' -exec grep -l 'F:\\Data\\Resolve' "{}" \; | while read db; do sqlite3 "$db" "update SM_UserSetup set GalleryPath='H:\Data\Resolve\.gallery', CachePath='H:\Data\Resolve\CacheClip';"; done

Return to Post Production