4K DCI 12 bit RGB

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author
  • Message
Offline

Smash Ashby

  • Posts: 58
  • Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:58 pm

4K DCI 12 bit RGB

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 5:41 am

Just checking...

If I want to output 4K DCI 12 bit RGB @ 24fps - say to a projector - then the only way I can do that is with the new 8K card?

The specs of the Ultrastudio 4k Extreme 3 say: "8, 10, 12‑bit RGB 4:4:4 up to 2160p30" i.e. 2160p30 is not DCI 4k.

The specs of the Decklink 8k Pro say: "8, 10, 12-bit RGB 4:4:4 in all modes up to 8K DCI 30p" i.e. you can get 12bit RGB in all formats up to 30p.

I'd prefer to use the Ultrastudio 3 due to it's other i/o, but I'd like to have the full 12 bit outputs for grading.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct? It seems odd to me that you can't get 12bit RGB out of the extreme in 4k DCI.

Cheers,

Simon.
Smash Ashby
Managing Director
South Post
Offline

Peter Cave

  • Posts: 637
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 am

Re: 4K DCI 12 bit RGB

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 7:21 am

The specs on the product page seem to support what you need. Maybe read them again?
Resolve 14
Mac OSX 10.11.6
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Offline

Smash Ashby

  • Posts: 58
  • Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: 4K DCI 12 bit RGB

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 7:28 am

Peter Cave wrote:The specs on the product page seem to support what you need. Maybe read them again?


I literally copied and pasted the specs from the UltraStudio 4k Extreme product page tech specs.
"8, 10, 12‑bit RGB 4:4:4 up to 2160p30"

Where did you see something that would indicate a different specification?

N.B. Blackmagic differentiates between QFHD i.e. 3840x2160p by calling it 2160p, and 4096x2160p by calling that DCI 4k.

Cheers,

Simon.
Smash Ashby
Managing Director
South Post
Offline

Howard Roll

  • Posts: 135
  • Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:50 am

Re: 4K DCI 12 bit RGB

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 8:40 am

I literally copied this from the decklink front page

DeckLink 4K Extreme 12G

Capture and playback 12G-SDI in SD, HD, Ultra HD and 4K DCI up to 4096 x 2160 60p in 10-bit YUV or 12-bit RGB!

The manuals aren't always up to date or accurate, who cares you have a 100K projector buy em both.
Offline

Andrew Kolakowski

  • Posts: 2748
  • Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:20 am

Re: 4K DCI 12 bit RGB

PostMon Nov 27, 2017 12:48 pm

Smash Ashby wrote:Just checking...

If I want to output 4K DCI 12 bit RGB @ 24fps - say to a projector - then the only way I can do that is with the new 8K card?

The specs of the Ultrastudio 4k Extreme 3 say: "8, 10, 12‑bit RGB 4:4:4 up to 2160p30" i.e. 2160p30 is not DCI 4k.

The specs of the Decklink 8k Pro say: "8, 10, 12-bit RGB 4:4:4 in all modes up to 8K DCI 30p" i.e. you can get 12bit RGB in all formats up to 30p.

I'd prefer to use the Ultrastudio 3 due to it's other i/o, but I'd like to have the full 12 bit outputs for grading.

Can anyone confirm that this is correct? It seems odd to me that you can't get 12bit RGB out of the extreme in 4k DCI.

Cheers,

Simon.


12bit RGB for 4K DCI should also work for 24p (if it works for UHD 24p), but I would just ask BM support.
Products info is not always very good with BM+ things change with firmware releases.
Offline

Smash Ashby

  • Posts: 58
  • Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: 4K DCI 12 bit RGB

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 2:05 am

Andrew Kolakowski wrote:12bit RGB for 4K DCI should also work for 24p (if it works for UHD 24p), but I would just ask BM support.
Products info is not always very good with BM+ things change with firmware releases.


Good advice. Thanks.
Smash Ashby
Managing Director
South Post
Offline

Peter Cave

  • Posts: 637
  • Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:45 am

Re: 4K DCI 12 bit RGB

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 5:26 am

Smash Ashby wrote:
Peter Cave wrote:The specs on the product page seem to support what you need. Maybe read them again?


I literally copied and pasted the specs from the UltraStudio 4k Extreme product page tech specs.
"8, 10, 12‑bit RGB 4:4:4 up to 2160p30"

Where did you see something that would indicate a different specification?

N.B. Blackmagic differentiates between QFHD i.e. 3840x2160p by calling it 2160p, and 4096x2160p by calling that DCI 4k.

Cheers,

Simon.


Tech Specs from the same source you copied. You missed the 4K specs.

Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 4.23.05 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 4.23.05 PM.png (483.89 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Resolve 14
Mac OSX 10.11.6
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
4 GHz Intel Core i7
AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4096 MB
Offline

Smash Ashby

  • Posts: 58
  • Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: 4K DCI 12 bit RGB

PostTue Nov 28, 2017 7:44 am

Peter Cave wrote:
Tech Specs from the same source you copied. You missed the 4K specs.

The attachment Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 4.23.05 PM.png is no longer available


Sadly not, according to the specs (see highlighted text) 12bit RGB is only supported up to 2160p (i.e. 3840x2160) not DCI 4k (i.e. 4096x2160p)

Also, even if HDMI did output DCI 4k @ 12bit RGB, no projectors take it, they take Quad Split 3G SDI. And, I don't think you can get a 12bit DCI 4k to Quad 3G converter - they all max out at 10bit.

In the scheme of things, it's not the end of the world.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 6.36.32 pm.png
Screen Shot 2017-11-28 at 6.36.32 pm.png (272.08 KiB) Viewed 146 times
Smash Ashby
Managing Director
South Post

Return to Post Production

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests