What's new in DaVinci Resolve 10

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Oskari Mörsky

Re: What's new in DaVinci Resolve 10

PostMon Jul 08, 2013 6:26 am

Is it any possible to use AMD cards in windows version of resolve (lite) 10?

Dwaine Maggart

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 08, 2013 6:39 pm

Based on item 1 in the General Enhancements section at the top of this thread, yes.
Dwaine Maggart
Blackmagic Design DaVinci Support

Noel Sterrett

PostSat Jul 20, 2013 1:36 pm

Any hope for AMD CPUs?

Cheers.
Admit One Pictures
Resolve Studio 18 | Linux Lint 21 | Nvidia 515 | Xeon | iCore | Ryzen

Tbirmann

PostMon Jul 22, 2013 9:04 pm

I'm super excited about Resolve 10... Especially the LIVE feature.

The LIVE feature is somewhat limited in information or demos online. The main question I can't (but need to) find an answer for is the ability to work with more than 1 SDI feed.

I work OnSet as a DIT and I'm looking forward to being able to use RESOLVE LIVE to my workflow. However, it is only really useful if I can color and pass-through that feed to more than 1 camera. At least 2, if not 3. If it is only for 1 camera at a time, It isn't really useful for this purpose. It is rare that I work with only 1 camera on set. Even for the times I do, I'd need to have a consistent workflow and wouldn't want to change it for each shoot.

Is there any information to answer these questions and concerns?
Thanks!

Dmitry Kitsov

PostTue Jul 23, 2013 12:12 am

Tbirmann wrote:I'm super excited about Resolve 10... Especially the LIVE feature.

The LIVE feature is somewhat limited in information or demos online. The main question I can't (but need to) find an answer for is the ability to work with more than 1 SDI feed.

I work OnSet as a DIT and I'm looking forward to being able to use RESOLVE LIVE to my workflow. However, it is only really useful if I can color and pass-through that feed to more than 1 camera. At least 2, if not 3. If it is only for 1 camera at a time, It isn't really useful for this purpose. It is rare that I work with only 1 camera on set. Even for the times I do, I'd need to have a consistent workflow and wouldn't want to change it for each shoot.

Is there any information to answer these questions and concerns?
Thanks!

Some type of production switch?
Dmitry Kitsov

Marc Fisher

PostWed Jul 24, 2013 1:04 am

Luxwhite wrote:for my 2009 MacPro I'm considering a
- regular EVGA GTX680 4GB
or a
- Sapphire Radeon 7950 3GB Mac Edition.

Two questions:
- Will Noise Reduction be ported to OpenCL in v10?
- What affect to performance is expected from the new OpenCL in v10 regarding 7950 vs. 680?

PLEASE Could anybody from blackmagic tell us what are the Graphics requeriments for Davinci Resolve 10?

thanks,

I too looked at the GTX680. If you're thinking Mac Pro, you will need to upgrade the Power Supply inside. If you put it in an external chassis, you'll be fine..

digitone

PostFri Jul 26, 2013 6:22 pm

Hello Peter,
I feel privileged to accept that I have been staunch promoter of Da Vinci Resolve ,because it opened up the black box of the DI in the film Industry , which was guarded and Dominated by the Big Daddys like Autodesk and FilmLight ,and to my opinion they are still trying to breathe to survive the onslaught launched by Blackmagic and I feel they might be feeling that a black-magic has really been done on them , because this can be evident from the fact that Autodesk is trying to keep its neck from drowning itself in the sea by launching Flame Premium and incorporating all the entertainment Industry standard software like Smoke and Lustre into one Package along with enhanced editing features and 4k workflow , similarly Filmlight bearing the burnt of heat of the competition ,reduced its prices and also launched a low cost airline package of Slate (console Panel) instead of Blackboard 2, Baselight Editions and now Baselight One ,just to survive some more life span

Now,I think Peter it is high time ,Blackmagic restructure the price of the proprietary Resolve Panel in line with Tangent Element or Tangent CP 100 (factory MRP) ,OR Develop a cheaper and better Panel than the Blackboard 2 ,then I think blackmagic with have the previlege to hammer the last nail in the coffins of the big Daddys like filmlight and Autodesk

This observation of mine is with full conviction from my heart,because it was we who predicted that celluloid film will be extinct and people used to laugh at us ,talking about latitude ,depth etc but now to everybody's surprise Fuji Film company almost going extinct and Kodak geeting bankrupt ,I am sure the days of Filmlight and Autodesk are counted in the film Industry at the mercy of Blackmagic

Thanks
Regards
Wellwisher

Radman

PostSun Jul 28, 2013 12:52 am

Big Daddy, well....
Resolve was once a BIG daddy.

Lets not forget that the BIG daddy's got us to this point and a BIG thanks for the brave few who had the imagination and foresight.

Poetry is not what it was, well...
It's like saying your Grandfather should never have existed.

You still can not match film.

Radman.

sambak

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 12:14 pm

Which version of Davinci Resolve gonna be shipped with BMPC 4k? 9 or 10??

adamroberts

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 1:40 pm

Probably ship with 9.

Resolve 10 is a free upgrade to all Resolve users. The dongle that ships with the camera is your licence.

Terry Frechette

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jul 29, 2013 1:43 pm

It will ship with the latest version of Resolve that is currently shipping. So right now not 10, since that is not shipping yet.

Terry

Neal Tate

PostWed Jul 31, 2013 8:45 pm

any update?

sambak

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 2:14 pm

gravitatemediagroup wrote:any update?

Update: 9.1.4

ungovernedreason

PostThu Aug 01, 2013 2:36 pm

Just wondering...does "OpenCL support for multiple AMD GPUs on Windows" also include the ability to run multiple cards that are different. say a gtx 690 and a AMD Radeon 6990? One for GUI and one as the workhourse?
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

sunilc_reddy

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 5:16 pm

Will this version supports multiple displays like any other NLE .

Dmitry Kitsov

PostSun Aug 04, 2013 6:39 pm

sunilc_reddy wrote:Will this version supports multiple displays like any other NLE .

+1
Dmitry Kitsov

Tbirmann

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Maybe I'm not explaining my last post well enough.

I want to know if the LIVE function will support multiple cameras simultaneously, but with different grades?

On set we rarely work with one camera. Do I need multiple systems with multiple versions of Resolve 10 to work with each of them?

My hope: For the product to be truly useful, it needs to be able to use something a like a DECKLINK QUAD and receive and send multiple signals at once. Maybe the QUAD would "store" a grade on each output and allow it to hold that grade until RESOLVE LIVE tells it to use another. That way, I could have 2 (or more) cameras coming into the card... passing through resolve, and then being displayed on the monitor with that grade.
If it only works with one camera at a time... I am sad to say I can't use it.

I am looking to update my workflow but I am waiting for this release to do so. Any info you have about multiple feed support would be great!

Dimitrios Papagiannis

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 11:02 pm

Hi Peter and friends. I noticed a feature that I think would help a great deal that doesn't exist in the version of 10 (or 9 for that matter) that I played with that I think would be a great help.

I am coloring a feature length documentary. I decided that the best way to go at it is to scene detect it. However after scene detecting it I was hoping that I would be able to go in and assign a flag color to the different parts so that I could sort them and look at them by flag color. Unfortunately when you scene detect something Resolve (Correctly thinks) that its all one big clip so that when you assign a flag to a post scene detected clip it makes every clip that flag color. In other words now all the clips in the scene detected timeline have "Blue flag".

I think it would help the people who use scene detection a great deal if they could assign different clips their own flag color. Please let me know if you have any questions. Or if you know a way to do what I am asking for using the present version of Resolve.

Sincerely,

Dimitrios Papagiannis

Dmitry Kitsov

PostMon Aug 05, 2013 11:38 pm

Dimitrios Papagiannis wrote:Hi Peter and friends. I noticed a feature that I think would help a great deal that doesn't exist in the version of 10 (or 9 for that matter) that I played with that I think would be a great help.

I am coloring a feature length documentary. I decided that the best way to go at it is to scene detect it. However after scene detecting it I was hoping that I would be able to go in and assign a flag color to the different parts so that I could sort them and look at them by flag color. Unfortunately when you scene detect something Resolve (Correctly thinks) that its all one big clip so that when you assign a flag to a post scene detected clip it makes every clip that flag color. In other words now all the clips in the scene detected timeline have "Blue flag".

I think it would help the people who use scene detection a great deal if they could assign different clips their own flag color. Please let me know if you have any questions. Or if you know a way to do what I am asking for using the present version of Resolve.

Sincerely,

Dimitrios Papagiannis

I am not having similar experience.
When I do scene cut detect and then add clips directly or through edl I retain the ability to flag clips independently.
You might want to make sure that you have "split source clips for pre conform" is on.
I am running resolve 9.1.5
Last edited by Dmitry Kitsov on Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dmitry Kitsov

Paul Provost

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 12:22 am

use markers
Paul Provost - colorist
Twitter: @4kfinish
www.4kfinish.com

Luke Hynde

PostTue Aug 06, 2013 8:05 pm

With new support for J2K decoding, does that mean that DCP playback is now possible with Resolve?

In other words, I could export my sequence to J2K, create the DCP in easyDCP and then playback the DCP to test it in Resolve?

The thorniest issue with DCP is playback. There's a post house in Hollywood that is playing back DCPs using BMD's Media Express, I'm dying to know how they do it.

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 2:11 pm

LAEditor wrote:With new support for J2K decoding, does that mean that DCP playback is now possible with Resolve?

In other words, I could export my sequence to J2K, create the DCP in easyDCP and then playback the DCP to test it in Resolve?

The thorniest issue with DCP is playback. There's a post house in Hollywood that is playing back DCPs using BMD's Media Express, I'm dying to know how they do it.

With the easyDCP plugin license, you can decode and encode dcps.
Rohit Gupta

DaVinci Resolve Software Development
Blackmagic Design

ungovernedreason

PostWed Aug 07, 2013 6:40 pm

ungovernedreason wrote:Just wondering...does "OpenCL support for multiple AMD GPUs on Windows" also include the ability to run multiple cards that are different. say a gtx 690 and a AMD Radeon 6990? One for GUI and one as the workhourse?

An amd card and an nvida card on a pc? Anybody?
Jonathon E Norris
Former Canadian Military
Videographer
UnGoverned Productions

Code: Select all
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwXLMT1XKyk&list=PL3XHcImUakQ30c-Xzd96iq5YEyk36LP-Z&index=2

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 12:33 am

ungovernedreason wrote:
ungovernedreason wrote:Just wondering...does "OpenCL support for multiple AMD GPUs on Windows" also include the ability to run multiple cards that are different. say a gtx 690 and a AMD Radeon 6990? One for GUI and one as the workhourse?

We don't recommend mixing ATI and NVIDIA cards on Windows. On Mac this is typically not a problem.
Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

sambak

PostThu Aug 08, 2013 11:07 am

Rohit Gupta wrote:
ungovernedreason wrote:

We don't recommend mixing ATI and NVIDIA cards on Windows. On Mac this is typically not a problem.

Hello Rohit!
What about quadro and GtX? it makes me really puzzled as Davinci resolve configuration guide says it's possible while on some forum i was reading that it's not the case as the two different drivers make your system crash more often then you would like....I am planning to buy one more card Possibly (Qaudro 600 for GUI) paired with one GTX 580 that i already have in my system. I am intended to use Qaudro 600 for GUI and GTX 580 for acceleration...

Also will this configuration work for PPRO and AE CS6 installed in the same sytem? because PPro does not support multiple GPUs at present and only recognizes the GPU which is connected to a display monitor...

joechiazza

PostFri Aug 09, 2013 8:41 pm

It looks like they've released it on their website. When can we download this product?

Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Aug 11, 2013 12:19 pm

sambak wrote:Hello Rohit!
What about quadro and GtX? it makes me really puzzled as Davinci resolve configuration guide says it's possible while on some forum i was reading that it's not the case as the two different drivers make your system crash more often then you would like....I am planning to buy one more card Possibly (Qaudro 600 for GUI) paired with one GTX 580 that i already have in my system. I am intended to use Qaudro 600 for GUI and GTX 580 for acceleration...

Also will this configuration work for PPRO and AE CS6 installed in the same sytem? because PPro does not support multiple GPUs at present and only recognizes the GPU which is connected to a display monitor...

We have no seen no issues when using the Quadro cards to drive the UI and GTX cards for CUDA processing on Mac/Windows/Linux.
Rohit Gupta

Blackmagic Design

Michael Easter

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 6:31 am

Do you need alpha- or beta-testers? I'd be interested in contributing some time if you had use for me.

I had the chance to view an alpha release of DaVinci Resolve 10 with Peter Chamberlain at SMPTE 2013 - he was kind enough to spend a good 25min on-on-one with me bouncing around the new features; I can't wait!

I have a full license of 9 and happy to sign any NDA or similar.

Travis Ward

PostTue Aug 13, 2013 7:42 pm

Regarding the ability to use ATI cards with Resolve--this would be big for me. Is there a list of compatible cards out yet, or a way to tell if mine (7870) will be compatible?

I just bought my BMCC, so if I just have to wait a few weeks, I'd prefer to do that vs. shelling out for a GTX.
Travis Ward

joechiazza

PostThu Aug 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Where can this product be downloaded from? I have a key, I want the latest version. The BM website shows that 10 is out but I can't find the download.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 12.51.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-08-15 at 12.51.19 PM.png (79.55 KiB) Viewed 14569 times

Travis Ward

PostThu Aug 15, 2013 7:58 pm

joechiazza wrote:Where can this product be downloaded from? I have a key, I want the latest version. The BM website shows that 10 is out but I can't find the download.

Just because the site says it's new doesn't mean it's out :)

Travis Ward

Steve Shaw

PostMon Sep 02, 2013 6:13 pm

As user of light Illusion LightSpace CMS to calibrate my monitoring with DaVinci Resolve and generate LUTs, I would know if BlackMagic confirm the integration in Q3 within Resolve v10 of this CMS. It would be a great thing :)

I can confirm LightSpace CMS integration is included in Resolve 10 :D

See: http://www.lightillusion.com/partners.html#bmd

Steve

cezmikardas

PostFri Sep 06, 2013 4:42 pm

silence ? :)
CezmiKARDAŞ | CSI-ICG
DIRECTOR | COLORIST | VFX ARTIST | SFX DESIGNER | TRAINER
BMD Training Partner
cezmikardas.com

Windows 11 Pro 22H2
Asus Rampage Formula 3
Intel i7 990x
48Gb DDR3 Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb VRam
SB X-FI Titanium

Pete Proniewicz-Brooks

PostWed Sep 11, 2013 10:40 am

Any news on this Q3 is almost over.....

Scott Stacy

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 2:33 pm

I am about to buy a new fully loaded MacBook Pro. Has Resolve 10 been tested with this computer and can people, or Peter, comment on performance. Thanks! S

15-inch: 2.8GHz
with Retina display
2.8GHz quad-core Intel Core i7
Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz
16GB 1600MHz memory
768GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 4000
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M with 1GB of GDDR5 memory
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

Paul Provost

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 3:01 pm

Aren't new ones about to come out?
http://www.macrumors.com/2013/08/22/ref ... september/
Hopefully with a better gfx card
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Scott Stacy

PostThu Sep 12, 2013 3:26 pm

Nice tip, Paul! Thanks! I think I will hold off for a bit.

Still, I would like to know how Resolve folks are feeling about perfomance with the new processor. It is my understanding that Mr. Petty has been using Resolve 10 with a beta MacPro. Sure would like to know how all this new technology is going to work together - particularly BMPC > FCPX > Resolve > FCPX.
Scott Stacy, CSI
Colorist

Windows 10
HP Z8
RTX2080ti (x2)
Intel Xeon Gold 18 Core
128 RAM
NVME M.2 Samsung 970 2TB (x4)
Resolve 17.4

cezmikardas

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 2:21 pm

Thanks
CezmiKARDAŞ | CSI-ICG
DIRECTOR | COLORIST | VFX ARTIST | SFX DESIGNER | TRAINER
BMD Training Partner
cezmikardas.com

Windows 11 Pro 22H2
Asus Rampage Formula 3
Intel i7 990x
48Gb DDR3 Ram
Nvidia Titan X 12Gb VRam
SB X-FI Titanium

Alexander Arndt

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 10:14 pm

just wanted to share that i installed the Latest Resolve 10Beta. Everything of my old setting's on Projects and databases are there! and working well :). really great look on the new designed interface, it looks a lot smoother and the functions so far everything working...iam happy...

cheers
alex

Stephen Mickelsen

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 11:24 pm

Just installed Beta 10 - Amazing effort - so far everything works well.

On thing I would prefer is that we leave an En/Dis Node button on the right transport panel with Tangent Elements. I often use that to toggle a node on or off while adjusting the grade with the primaries knobs. With the node controls moved to the left panel, I've lost my 1 button toggle.

Thanks,
Stephen

LoganStewartDP

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 11:39 pm

Installed Full Version of Resolve 10. Noticed that the same BMCC footage put through it retains slightly more detail when spit out to prores 4444. Only problem i ran into is that in resolve 9 I could playback the footage just fine at 24fps now it caps itself out at 20fps?? just wondering what could be causing this program wise and if there are any new setting I need to change to streamline the playback processing.

Single EVGA GTX650 2gb w/8gb ram and 3750k i5 clocked at 4.4
Logan Stewart DP
Variables Of Light LLC
www.variablesoflight.com

Paul Provost

PostFri Sep 13, 2013 11:39 pm

I pray that the element mapping is not final
Paul Provost - colorist
www.4kfinish.com

Paul Russell

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 8:24 am

What's the procedure for reporting bugs?

I'm finding lots of errors importing EDLs from Premiere CC Win7. Files are showing missing that ARE in the media pool, or in some cases Resolve completely substitutes a different clip name.
Calamity Studio

Andy Mees

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 2:02 pm

Same question... is there a preferred means for public beta users to file bug reports and/or enhancement requests for the new (and old) features.

Thanks in advance
Andy

Arabek Davudov

PostSat Sep 14, 2013 8:14 pm

I didn't expected Resolve 10 to get so many great improvements.
Thank you for your effort!

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Sep 15, 2013 10:21 am

In that past, i reported non "private-beta" bugs to:

davincihelp (*at*) blackmagicdesign.com

I imagine it's still the same.
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Andy Mees

PostSun Sep 15, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks mate, that sounds like a good option.
Cheers
Andy

CaptainHook

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Sep 15, 2013 10:30 am

Cool, just remember IBC and even then, you may not get a response but it doesn't mean the issue hasn't been looked at. :)
**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Lee Niederkofler

PostMon Sep 16, 2013 11:32 am

Paul Provost wrote:I pray that the element mapping is not final

Yes me too!!

Here are my 3 only suggestions:

- Please add on 'Menu B' on the MF/transport panel the 'En/Dis All', 'En/Dis Node' buttons again, and add the 'Apply Grade from one clip prior' and 'Apply Grade from two clips prior' (there are 6 buttons unused)
- Please add Primary/Log Buttons to A,B on the TK (trackerballs) panel (unused buttons)
- If possible add Offset controls to MF/transport trackerball (you could switch between transport/offset via unused reset buttons)

It would really speed up my workflow and I think a lot of people would appreciate those controls on their Element panel!

Btw. you did a stellar job with this new release! So many amazing new features!!
Love the splitscreen feature with Gallery option!
The Contrast/Pivot controls are a nice addition to the panel!
Can't thank you enough for the new freeform window controls and the new Grad window!
Jpeg2000 and EasyDCP feature are great!
Finally thanks for the integration of Lightspace, will save me a lot of time!

Thanks again to the Team BMD Resolve!

Steve Lee Jean

PostWed Sep 25, 2013 1:58 am

With this announcement:

http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon- ... ked_124573

I hope AMD GPU support will be as great as NVIDIA!
Director/Writer
Busan, South Korea + Los Angeles, CA
PreviousNext

Return to Post Production