Deviation in monitoring through UltraStudio Mini Monitor

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Michael Grippentrog

Deviation in monitoring through UltraStudio Mini Monitor

PostWed Dec 20, 2017 9:25 am

Hello everyone,

I have a problem monitoring out of Davinci Resolve (14.2 Studio) via my UltraStudio Mini Monitor. My external monitor ist a 1080p Samsung television, which is color calibrated via DisplayCAL and working okay, for what it is. I created a monitoring LUT for DR with DisplayCAL and applied it in the 3D Video Monitor Lookup Table slot in the Color Management section. My UltraStudio Mini Monitor is connected through TB out of my MacBookPro (OSX 10.13.2) to HDMI into the Samsung.

Now several issues occur on that external screen. As both, the Samsung and the UltraStudio Mini Monitor, can display 1080p maximal resolution, in the Video Monitoring preferences 1080p monitoring format is set accordingly.

The following happens:

- Working on a 2.7k (GoPro footage) timeline, on the external Samsung the footage is not displayed full screen in 1080, but shows a zoomed in 2.7k equivalent (center crop). If I lower the timeline resolution to 1080 everything is allright, proportionally. If I, however, set the Video monitoring format to something lower, e. g. 720p and so on, the footage will be zoomed in even further

- Contrast and brightness are way off. Compared to the timeline preview the Samsung is way too bright and lacks contrast. If I open any project in FinalCutPro X the external preview is the same as in the timeline preview, as one would expect. So there must be something wrong with my DR settings, I guess, because monitoring (in FCP X) works in general.

I followed part 1 & 2 of a Youtube tutorial Affordable Monitoring in Resolve by midphase to set up everything (I’m not allowed to post URLs). Any further advice would be highly appreciated.
Hackintosh i7 8700k, ASUS GFX 1060 OC
15" MacBookPro (Mid 2012)
LG 34UM88-P, UltraStudio Mini Monitor, FinalCutPro X & Davinci Resolve

Marc Wielage

Re: Deviation in monitoring through UltraStudio Mini Monitor

PostWed Dec 27, 2017 1:19 am

Michael Grippentrog wrote:Contrast and brightness are way off. Compared to the timeline preview the Samsung is way too bright and lacks contrast.

Don't believe anything in the GUI. Read pages 661-662 of the Resolve manual, "Limitations When Grading With the Viewer on a Computer Display."
marc wielage, csi • VP/color & workflow • chroma | hollywood

Michael Grippentrog

Re: Deviation in monitoring through UltraStudio Mini Monitor

PostWed Dec 27, 2017 10:39 am

Thank you Marc, this little snippet of information is easy to overlook in the huge manual.

Gesendet von meinem VTR-L09 mit Tapatalk
Hackintosh i7 8700k, ASUS GFX 1060 OC
15" MacBookPro (Mid 2012)
LG 34UM88-P, UltraStudio Mini Monitor, FinalCutPro X & Davinci Resolve

Return to Post Production