Video archiving

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

gregsmith

Video archiving

PostTue Jan 02, 2018 12:12 am

I manage a studio for a church. We record the Sunday services, edit and create DVD's for those who request them. I struggle with video archiving. The Prores file storage, I feel, is a burden at nearly 200Gb a week. I currently copy them to a HD and when it fills up I pull it and stick it on a shelf. I don't feel like that is a valid solution either. Do I really need to keep the Prores after exporting the mpeg2 and h264? Perhaps only keeping the Prores for special events? How are you managing your video storage and whats the workflow look like?
Thanks in advance.

Ryan Earl

Re: Video archiving

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 12:52 am

If you need to access the older original files from the camera you could consider a small 8 bay server like a QNAP TS-831X. Then add in as many drives and the largest you can budget, like 8 x 8tb or 8 x 10tb. Then run a RAID 5 or RAID 6 to help keep the info intact in the event of drive failure. The server should also be checking the disks for corruption.

I have a server for that purpose as an archive because clients may ask for changes to a commercial later on.

I use a custom built Windows machine with 2x 10tb Seagate drives in parity (storage spaces pool) for projects in progress then offload the original files to an 8 bay server.

If the files are very important then the whole archive can be backed up offline to additional drives or Amazon's S3 with the built in QNAP tools.

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Video archiving

PostThu Jan 25, 2018 11:23 am

gregsmith wrote:I manage a studio for a church. We record the Sunday services, edit and create DVD's for those who request them. I struggle with video archiving. The Prores file storage, I feel, is a burden at nearly 200Gb a week. I currently copy them to a HD and when it fills up I pull it and stick it on a shelf. I don't feel like that is a valid solution either. Do I really need to keep the Prores after exporting the mpeg2 and h264? Perhaps only keeping the Prores for special events? How are you managing your video storage and whats the workflow look like?
Thanks in advance.

This is not a backup at all. At any given time your drive can be dead. You should backup to safe storage (RAID5/6, 10) or to keep it simple to 2x single drives.
It's your decision- do you need ProRes masters- are they good quality (what camera is it recorded on)?
What you can do is to convert them into very high quality h264 files (just don't use Resolve for this, but Handbrake etc.) to reduce size and in the same time to have something much better than final mpeg2.

Your final mpeg2/h264 you can always backup in the cloud- with their size cost is not that bad.

200GB is not that crazy big- 8TB drive is enough for 9 months.

Return to Post Production