USB-C to Thunderbolt on UltraStudio Mini Monitor

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Mike Watson

USB-C to Thunderbolt on UltraStudio Mini Monitor

PostSun Jan 07, 2018 5:20 am

Hi,

I'm just getting my new iMac set up. It seems that the powers-that-be at Apple have seen fit to shuffle ports again. I no longer have mini-displayport sized Thunderbolt ports, I now have USB C sized Thunderbolt ports.

A quick web search doesn't reveal a lot of promise for my old Thunderbolt US Mini Monitor using an adapter.

Is there an adapter that will make my Mini Monitor work again?

Richard Augert

Re: USB-C to Thunderbolt on UltraStudio Mini Monitor

PostTue Jan 09, 2018 5:28 pm

I use a Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 convertor with the BM Mini Recorder. I also use the same convertor with a Sonnet Thunderbolt II PCIe chassis with a Quad2 and Duo 2 card installed. Works good on all those devices.

Xtreemtec

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 1:44 pm

The official Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter will just work fine!
I have seen people stuggeling with other adapters that were cheaper and had issues.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV, ATEM TVS HD, 1M/E 4K, 2M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Hyperdeck Studio Mini, SONY FS7 4K, Ursa Broadcast 4K

drasw1

PostSat Apr 28, 2018 10:00 am

I just set up my new iMac which is using the Apple Thunderbolt 3 USB C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter and it has not recognized my Canon using the BM UltraStudio Mini Recorder. Any other suggestions?

drasw1

PostMon Apr 30, 2018 4:38 pm

I ordered the Startech Thunderbolt 3 to Thunderbolt 2 convertor so hopefully this is good advice.

Thanks

Steve McDonald

PostSun Jun 03, 2018 3:29 pm

I have a desktop PC (windows 10, intel i7, nvidia gtx 1080 card) and the PC has a seperate USB-C port on it. Is there a way to use USB-C port to drive a 4K external display for davinci resolve. Looking for any ideas that don't break the bank.

I have a 4K external 10bit calibrated monitor with an HDMI and full-size displayport on it, that could receive a signal. I also have a Atomos Ninja inferno I could send a signal to. I just cannot figure out a way to get teh signal out to full screen for color grading, and am just looking for a solution that could keep me from spending another $1k.

Inside the computer, there is a ePCI x1 card with the USB-C port and two USB 3 ports - so while I could swap that out for something else, it would have to be a x1 sized ePCI card only. I do not have any remaining expansion ports in the PC.

Does anyone know of a way to pull this off? Could I use a USB-C to HDMI cable and send out from resolve that way? Or is there a USB-C 4K monitor device that can output HDMI 2 for 4k for less than a grand that Resolve will respect? Or can I go USB-C adapted to thunderbolt 2 to an HDMI monitor adapter into the 4K monitor (sadly limiting me to fullHD and not Ultra 4k)?

Nigel Smith

PostTue Jun 19, 2018 2:48 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:The official Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 2 Adapter will just work fine!
I have seen people stuggeling with other adapters that were cheaper and had issues.

I just bought the Apple adapter on the basis of this thread, and the iMac is not seeing the BMD mini-monitor,
on Mac OS 10.13.3 and using desktop video 10.9.11 - the latest version approved by Avid for MC and Pro Tools.

SOLVED:
the BMD Kext had been blocked by Mac OS. Uninstalling and then re-installing the drivers gave no error message, but checking the system preferences:security and privacy pane, I could see that installation had been blocked and had to manually override the OS to install it anyway.
All working fine now - posting this in case it helps others.
Nigel

Return to Post Production