Shuttle,... did I miss something?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Stewart Fairweather

Shuttle,... did I miss something?

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 1:12 am

So I'm using,... well, trying to use,... an Intensity Shuttle USB3 to drive an analog display, so I can do playback for actors doing ADR in a temp setup, and do the playback in Desktop Video.

So using the Composite output.

I've gone through and set the output settings to Pal 50i, can see the BMD logo on the screen when the PC boots, got the shuttle set to downconvert HD to SD, should be all good.

Even set the project to Pal 50i.

Import footage, project changes to HD, annnnnd,..... no output. :(

Does the Shuttle no longer do all-outputs active like I did when I bought it?

If so, why in the heck was that changed!

I've used it for this purpose before, but this is a new PC with current drivers and BMD software.

Xtreemtec

Re: Shuttle,... did I miss something?

PostWed Jan 10, 2018 1:39 pm

USB or Thunderbolt version?

Because you mention a new PC. If you have a USB version this can be of a lot of trouble.. Especially if your USB3 is not able to handle the datarates for HD. ;)

Also which version of Desktop video are you using? 10.9.9 was online for a few days.. But there were a lot of issues with the Intensity devices so they pulled the 10.9.9 version offline to solve a issue with it. Latest version at this moment is 10.9.7
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Stewart Fairweather

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 11:24 am

Intensity Shuttle USB3

Same one I eventually got running on a X58 system, and on my Lenovo E520 laptop with an Expressport USB3 card.

The new PC is a 7th gen Intel NUC that has no datarate issues - I was able to capture HDMI Input HD footage from my Cion with no problems, and play it back to my Shogun.

My issue is, when I imported the HD footage for a short film, to do playback to a CRT screen several rooms away as an ADR monitor, the Shuttle and Media Express would force the project and device to HD, and there is no down-converted vision on the Composite video output.

I ended up having to go back to doing playback out of the X58 system in Resolve 12.5,... which is what I was trying to avoid as that PC's power supply has caused signal noise in the past for audio recording.

Version of Desktop video, is whatever was current a week ago.

Xtreemtec

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 1:13 pm

Good to hear a modern NUC 7th Gen can handle USB 3 products.. Any specific model?? Would like to add it to the List of Computers that works with BMD USB3.0 products

How is the Cion for you working? Not many shooting with a Cion, Which i do think is a pity.. It was in my eyes a good concept. But crushed to death by the bad reviews when it came with the first firmware..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Stewart Fairweather

PostTue Jan 16, 2018 9:32 am

Intel BOXNUC7I7BN :)
Specced mine with Segate Hybrid drive for the OS and a Samsung NVMe M.2 as the drive to record vision to.
And the latter, is one fast sucker. Sooner there's a way to use them in cameras, the better, they make CFast look dog slow, and cost no where near as much.

Locally, a 128Gb Cfast is over $500 and does 500Mb/s write speed.
A 500Gb Samsung NVMe M.2 drive is $325 and writes at 1500Mb/s

So, three times the speed, and One Quarter the cost per Gigabyte.

When does every camera make the swap to recording Raw all the time? :)

As for the Cion, I have Zero regrets about that one. I'd had one under the #TryCion program about the times some of those reviews were published, and frankly, I wondered if they'd even had the camera in their possession.
Sure, it's not a low light monster, no Global Shutter camera is.
But set up properly, it's fantastic, and unlike Red's or the Ursa's, you're not limited to longer FFD lenses - we machined our own mounts for M4/3 and Sony E, so any lens is possible, or any Focal Reducer combination.

Put it on the shoulder, and your eyes open at how ergonomic a camera can be, without need of a Rig.

It has two major limits, the first being the extra difficulty and expense in getting Raw out of it, thanks to Atomos and Convergent Design both selling us recorders they claimed would support the camera, and never delivering on their promised support - Atomos has gone so far to ban and block people on social media who've commented on their poor performance delivering CineDNG support to all the cameras they claimed they would.

(BMD, Raw Recorder sales to Cion users,... hint, hint)

The second limit, is the negative reactions caused by the poorly done reviews, mostly from people who've never used the camera or seen the footage.

There are only 5 or 6 Cion's in Australia, one in Sydney, and soon the one in Melbourne, are available for hire with an included crew, and thanks to Resolve 14, the colours can match Alexa's, just not the dynamic range,... but which camera can :D

Return to Post Production