multi-screen projection unstable // micro-converter

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Laurane Perche

multi-screen projection unstable // micro-converter

PostSat Jan 13, 2018 2:24 pm

Hello there,

I'm actually setting up a multi-screen retro-projection with 2 VP for a dance show (premiere is 3 weeks from now). I'm using the macBook Pro 15" / Touch Bar / 2017 / 4 USB-C connections / 2,8 GHz Intel Core i7 / Intel HD Graphics 630 & Radeon Pro 560

Here is the line :

Macbook Pro > apple adapter USB-C/HDMI > HMDI cable > Black Magic converter HDMI/SDI > BNC cable > Black Magic converter SDI/HDMI > HDMI cable > VP
everything is x2 except the laptop.

Here is my problem : the first time I set this up, it was very stable. The second time, one of the two VP was unstable, image went black with VP mention 'no signal' and then came back. Yesterday, try it again, it was worst. Both of the VP went black, at least twice in 1 minute. And, if i plug only one VP, image is stable.

So I went behind the screen, and tried the macbook connected to the 2 VP only with hdmi cables and adapters, it was very stable. So I guess the problem is with black magic micro-converter or BNC-cables...

But this morning, a friend lend me a Mac Pro (2014), so connectors are now mini-display > hdmi and it instantly worked and was very stable.

Anyone could help me understand where is the problem with my first set up ?
For now I could keep the Mac Pro but not for the tour of the show, so I really would like to find how to run my original set up...

thank you in advance for your help !!

Return to Post Production