Upconverting SD to HD

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Eileen Dougherty

Upconverting SD to HD

PostFri Jan 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Hi All,

I worked with tape back in the day so I realize you can't improve the quality of SD by up converting it to HD. I am transferring old Hi8 tape for a family archive using a Sony playback deck and a TBC. Does anyone recommend outputting to 1080 with pillar bars? I have tried setting up my intensity preferences to do that but when I capture in Premiere, it seems to default to 720x486. What are your ideal settings for capturing home movies for families. Thanks in advance.

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Upconverting SD to HD

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 7:12 pm

Sounds like you are using sd equipment...and trying to get hd playback out of it.

You might simply try capturing in sd...then bring those files into an hd project to do the up Rez...unless you can get your hands on a teranex or something to help with the uprez on capture.

Dermot Shane

Re: Upconverting SD to HD

PostSun Jan 28, 2018 2:32 pm

the desktop video software has settings for up rezing on the i/o card, but not all cards offer up/down rez, the deckloink pro's tha ti use do, but i thoink the mini deos nor, no idea about the intensity external i/o boxes

that said, i would capture at 1:1 and then process with scaling/ sharpening /noise reduction ona shot by shot basis

Return to Post Production