Recovering Files - Please, anyone please help

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

James McDonagh

Recovering Files - Please, anyone please help

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 12:57 am

Hello,

I was recently at an event/gig/job and recorded all my footage onto a 256gb SD card via my Ursa Mini Pro. The only problem is that my laptop will not read the SD card (it can other sd cards fine) and even after entering in the Chkdsk command it still won't work as its saying the data is raw. I honestly need someone to help as this is such an important gig for me. When the SD card is in the Ursa Mini Pro I'm able to watch all the footage back so it's still there.... is there anyway I can send the files directly from the camera's playback option to a Hard Drive... I just don't understand the footage is literally all there I don't want to lose it....
Last edited by James McDonagh on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

James McDonagh

Re: Recovering Files - Please, anyone please help

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 2:45 am

I have an idea:

is there anyway I could get an SDI to HDMI converter and then playback the video onto lets say my laptop perhaps and then screengrab the necessary video?

James McDonagh

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 2:55 am

I've been looking up all these drastic file recovery options that get sent to a lab and all these software options that involve wiping the memory clean and then putting your faith in some dodgy free programme to be able to recover the data. There must be an easier way than that: I CAN WATCH THE FILMS ON MY MINI PRO MONITOR PERFECTLY THE FILES ARE THERE.

HELP! PLEASE!

James McDonagh

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 1:48 pm

I've came up with the idea of renting out the Atomos Shogun and recording the playback. What does everyone think of this?

Also: will this give me the same quality footage that I initially recorded?

rick.lang

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 3:09 pm

People seem to have had good results with Disk Drill. I think it’s free to show your data to prove it can recover the files to your computer and you pay a fee then to perform the recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rick Lang

James McDonagh

PostSun Jan 21, 2018 3:42 pm

rick.lang wrote:People seem to have had good results with Disk Drill. I think it’s free to show your data to prove it can recover the files to your computer and you pay a fee then to perform the recovery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Rick,

what do you think of the Atomos Shogon option? Will there be a loss of quality?

Glenn Sakatch

PostSat Jan 27, 2018 7:07 pm

I'm not sure why you think the card has failed?

You can still view the footage on it through the camera, but you can't access it on another device? Sounds more like a permissions issue or a weird camera formatting issue.

Playing it out to an external recorder would certainly be a fine option. Using screen capture software would be a last ditch option. Your quality drop off would be huge....but better than nothing at all I suppose.

Return to Post Production