Teranex Express no video input

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Perry

Teranex Express no video input

PostThu Feb 08, 2018 5:17 pm

Yesterday our Teranex Express (which is on 24/7 in a rack) stopped taking inputs. Nothing has changed in terms of wiring. We route signals into it through a BlackMagic Videohub and have both A and B SDI ins and outs set up. We've had it wired this way for nearly 2 years.

So what happens is that I go to the panel and click on Input, and the entire screen goes black. None of the format buttons respond, other than SDI and OPT. When I click on Output, I'm able to use all the format buttons, the screen shows the normal display (with grey bars top and bottom and the video signal in the middle. It correctly displays the selected output format). But there's no actual video out, it's just black, because there doesn't seem to be video in.

The VideoHub is showing video on the input, playing off a deck, and I've tried routing to both A and B inputs on the Teranex. Nothing.

I have swapped cables for the inputs to the teranex, reset the system to the factory settings, rebooted a few times. Nothing.

Is there anything else I can try here or is this box toast?
Perry Paolantonio
Gamma Ray Digital - 288 Walnut St Suite 105, Newton MA 02460
14k Film Scanning -- Color Grading -- Film Restoration
www.gammaraydigital.com

Markus Krapf

Re: Teranex Express no video input

PostSat Feb 10, 2018 9:31 pm

Have you checked if there is a valid signal output from the Videohub?

Did you also unplug the power from the Teranex or did you just soft-reboot the machine?

You may try reflashing the Firmware. Wait until the Teranex automatically boots fully up after the update is finished as I had also problems with a Teranex 3D and input detection if I used the buttons on the front to power it up manually just after the software said the update is finished instead of waiting for the automatic power up.

If there is no hardware problem with the Teranex this could fix it.

Glenn Sakatch

PostMon Feb 19, 2018 4:11 pm

Yes...route out of the videohub to a monitor, or out of the deck to the teranex to make sure you are looking at the right issue first of all.

Perry

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 7:04 pm

Need to look into this a bit further, but right now it's looking like something is up with the switch, not the teranex.
Perry Paolantonio
Gamma Ray Digital - 288 Walnut St Suite 105, Newton MA 02460
14k Film Scanning -- Color Grading -- Film Restoration
www.gammaraydigital.com

wickhamb

PostWed Nov 27, 2019 9:02 pm

Hi,

I have a similar issue. Of 12 Teranex Express units I have, 5 have recently stopped accepting HD-SDI on the HD-SDI In A connector inputs. Also, of these 5 miss behaving units, 4 of them are outputting on B. I checked this by turning on the test pattern. the other is outputting on A with the test pattern. I also set the output to show bars when no input detected and they display all display the bars despite having a valid HD-SDI signal on the A input. 4 of them on B output and the other on A. These units just do not seem to want to accept an input on A

I checked the SDI Output settings, and they are set to Single Link, same as my other 8 units that are working.

The other bizarre factor is that all 5 bad units will accept an HD-SDI in the form of optical using an SFP in the OPT slot. But again 4 outputting on B and one still outputting on A.

I can't seem to fix it so I am assuming the input/output circuitry in the Teranex is faulty.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Return to Post Production