Monitoring 2K 2048x1556 w/ UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

John Tariot

Monitoring 2K 2048x1556 w/ UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 4:35 pm

Greetings-

I see this was discussed in some depth a couple years back- apologies if there has been more recent discussion of this topic which I may have missed and/or am repeating.

I work almost exclusively with 2K 2048x1556 film-originated material, and am wondering if there are any solutions available to me for monitoring.

In Premiere, I can set up my playback preferences & BMD set-up to scale down what is, technically, an "unsupported" format. Depending on which monitor I route SDI video out to, I can mess with aspect-ratio settings to approximate 4:3, but doing so crops out some of the image (a quirk of the particular 2K monitor I'm using, I believe- rather than the UltraStudio). If I route playback to our 5K iMac Pro, I can display playback in 4:3 on the iMac's 2560x1440 display and all is relatively peachy, though I am not monitoring full 2048x1556 in SDI. This is an "ok" solution, but would prefer to be monitoring SDI out.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice? It seems as though this has been a topic of interest in the past, so I know there are probably a few of you in the same boat.

Thanks in advance,

- JT

Andrew Kolakowski

Re: Monitoring 2K 2048x1556 w/ UltraStudio 4K Extreme 3

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 5:42 pm

There is no broadcast standard which covers your resolution.
Your "only" solution is monitoring over UHD either as proportionally scaled or as 1:1 pixels in UHD frame.
Have you tried it in Resolve?
You can set monitoring to UHD and then play with Output Scaling option trying to get desired result.

John Tariot

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 6:00 pm

Hi Andrew-

Yes- I toil away in the vineyards of "non-broadcast" formats. While it's an internationally recognized 2K standard in cinema, post & DI, I understand that with the UltraStudio I will have to work within the "broadcast" sandbox, at least for now.

While some of the issues are the same in Resolve, it is much better at handling this issue with upstream scaling than Premiere. Still a bit of a kluge. We run full-on with both applications daily, so I thought I'd see what others have come up with specifically within BMD hardware video i/o & the Desktop Video application.

I'm going to experiment with your UHD suggestion- right off the bat my first guess is this will work, tho', I've learned that in this business, first guesses only get me so far. How's it go again? "Man plans, God laughs."

Thanks for the input. Much appreciated.

- JT

Andrew Kolakowski

PostTue Feb 20, 2018 6:12 pm

Well- with SDI/HDMI and BM cards you have not much of choice.
Premiere with its BM preview is as you said also additionally limited in this aspect.
Some cards, like DVS (AJA into some extent) allow for non standard frame sizes, specially in custom made applications using SDK. Not sure if there is such a possibility with BM- they are "simpler" cards.

Inserting your 2Kx1.5K frame into UHD frame is for me the best option (besides scaling ti down). At least you have it full res (scaled up or 1:1).

With other tools like Assimilate Scratch you can use 2nd screen GUI preview (which is 10bit and accurate) with "correct" monitor to maximise match to your resolution.

Return to Post Production