Monitor Calibration

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

James McDonagh

Monitor Calibration

PostWed Mar 07, 2018 7:19 pm

Hey guys,

I'm on a budget and will not be purchasing a second monitor any time soon for my color grading.

What is the best software to use that calibrates your screen? I'm using a laptop.

JPOwens

Re: Monitor Calibration

PostSun Mar 11, 2018 10:25 pm

James McDonagh wrote:What is the best software to use that calibrates your screen? I'm using a laptop.

Resolve supports Lightspace and SpectraCal Calman. LG has just struck a deal that will allow DDC control of their hardware for consumer/high-end OLED displays, which is an interesting direction.

A sensitive enough probe.. i-1, C6, or better, will start adding to the cost, its not just about software.
You will also likely have to invest in VideoForge to provide test signals to your display, and something like Client3 software to override your laptop's internal OS Colorsync CMS system. Most of these analysis applications are Windows-only, but Apple systems will host the color management plugin.

By the time you get to where your calibration solution works, you will have spent the equivalent (plus time invested in learning how to calibrate a monitor) of just investing in a grade-rated display.

Its a pay-me-now or pay-me-later proposition. If I walk into a foreign studio, I will likely burn about 4-6 hours wrestling with their TV Set to get it to where it is *close enough* to use.

jPo, CSI

Lee Gauthier

PostMon Mar 12, 2018 5:47 pm

James McDonagh wrote:I'm on a budget ...What is the best software to use that calibrates your screen? I'm using a laptop.

The best low-cost solution is displayCAL, which is free. There are links on the displayCAL page to buy the supported sensors. The Spyder is about $130. The i1 is about $250, but is a much better sensor that will get you better results.

displayCAL is easy to use, and works with Resolve.

JPOwens

PostTue Mar 13, 2018 11:53 pm

Lee Gauthier wrote:Spyder is about $130.

Spyder is a consumer probe for photographers to white-balance their computer monitors. It is not sensitive enough to do an accurate black balance for cinematography.

jPo, CSI

Return to Post Production