Intensity Pro Compatible Motherboard

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Ben Jones

Intensity Pro Compatible Motherboard

PostFri Mar 16, 2018 10:45 am

I wonder if anybody could help me. I have an old Intensity Pro card that is about 5 or 6 years old and I want to put it into my current edit suite. However, my edit suite is pretty old itself and its motherboard is incompatible with the card so it does not work. In addition the Blackmagic drivers cause the edit suite to randomly reboot. Therefore I am planning to replace my old motherboard with something more suitable, using as much of my original edit suite’s parts as possible, including the i7 processer, Zotec GTX470 Graphics Card (using a PCIe 2.0 x 16) and hopefully my six sticks of DDR3 RAM as well (although I may need to replace them too).

The problem is that the list of compatible motherboards supplied by Blackmagic for the Intensity Pro is massively out of date. Can anybody recommend a decent currently available motherboard that would work with the Intensity Pro?

Chaz Dole

Re: Intensity Pro Compatible Motherboard

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 10:27 am

I've had a good experience with my Intensity Pro card (bought used) in an Asrock 970 Extreme4 mobo with an AMD FX-8350 proc and a couple of 8GB sticks of DDR3-1866, and originally was using an Nvidia Geforce GTX-460. Debated upping the RAM with a couple more sticks until I learned it would no longer run in dual channel mode with 4 sticks. Not sure how important that is.

It runs smoothly with no issues. Quite impressive to me that I could view full speed 1440 by 1080 on my preview monitor with 2048 by 1536 scanned film in the dpx format source files with no stuttering. And this was with color correction. Granted, I have the video files on a pair of SSDs in a RAID, but still, not bad for a fairly inexpensive editing rig.

I chose the Asrock (I think it is built by Asus) as it had tons of ports, particularly firewire and eSata in back. I've got the thing loaded with drives, main OS, SSD RAID, standalone SSD, and a pair of WD Green 1TB drives in RAID. Had to use an additional SATA card for the WD RAID.

Upgraded the vid card to a GTX-660, for the improved GPU rendering assist in another editing program. The card was in a computer I was given.

If I had it to do over, I would have bought the X99 series board, as I think that one uses DDR4. But this one does well, I really hammer it sometimes. The 600 watt gold power supply I upgraded to (used) has all but eliminated any crash issues. And it uses the electricity more efficiently. I run a watt meter on my box, it's interesting to see the wattage jump from a web surfing 85 watts up to over 400 when rendering.

Good luck, and let us know what you get, and how it performs.

Massimiliano Celindano

Re: Intensity Pro Compatible Motherboard

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 11:52 am

All I can tell you is that I've got my IP4K card connected to my (very) ol' Asus P5Q3 Deluxe mobo with a Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 CPU, a AMD Radeon HD6870 1GB DDR5 graphic card, a pair of 4GB sticks DDR3-1333 RAM, a Western Digital Caviar Black SATA-II 3TB HDD (for archiving), a Cooler Master 700W PSU and it's working fine... I didn't know if it was compatible or not, but there it is.

Edit: I do not perform editing but just capturing

Return to Post Production