Anyone use an ultra wide monitor?

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Brad Ballew

Anyone use an ultra wide monitor?

PostSat Mar 17, 2018 3:14 pm

I have been thinking about getting an ultra wide monitor in place of my two monitors set up. Does anyone use an ultra wide monitor? Does it play nice with your software? Any monitor recommendations?

Thanks!
Brad Ballew
Director, Cinematographer, Editor, Motion Graphics
http://www.bradballew.com/

Glenn Sakatch

Re: Anyone use an ultra wide monitor?

PostSun Mar 18, 2018 3:57 pm

I did use ultrawides for a while. I purchased a 32 inch Samsung and was pretty happy with it. Problem was the resolution is still basically just two 1920 x 1080 monitors side by side, which sounds logical, but in the end, I found it wasn't high enough res for all the space I wanted. It was fine with resolve, but Avid wanted more real estate because of the window lay outs I use. So I ended up with a second ultrawide...this one a 27 inch, because of cost and availability. The two together worked quite well. I had lots of real estate to work with. If you can find and afford an ultrawide with higher resolution, than you might be happier. (something with more than 1080)

My current space created an issue of having the two monitors in front of me, and blocking my flanders that was centered, 5 feet away from the desk. I tried splitting them one left, one right...didn't like that.
I put them one on top of the other, which I loved, and Resolve loved, but Avid hated, so for now they are in a corner of the suite, and I'm using a cheap 4k tv as my gui monitor.

Return to Post Production