Black Magic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 question

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Jone Oma

Black Magic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 question

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 9:12 pm

Hello, I bought this before summer vacation and didnt have enough time to get it to work, so I am trying it out now. It says on the PDF http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/media/1388093/USB3_Readme_Before_You_Install.pdf that i need to check the Renesas Electronics USB 3.0 Host Controller Utility to see if i have e firmware version 3.0.2.5, and driver version 2.0.4.0, or higher.

And I do have that Image

But still I do not know what to do next. I installed all the programs that i got from the disk, Multibridge Utility, Converter Utility, Live Key, Media Express, Hyperdeck Utility, SmartView Utility, and Videohub. And i dont understand how it should work. In fact, the only program of these here programs that actually tells me anyhting is the Media Express one, when i press the "Device" button at the top left corner, it tells me that "No device connected"

Which cant be right? I have USB 3.0, the Nec host controller information is correct, so where is the problem?

There is 1 clue i get from windows tho, but it is also one that i dont really understand. When i plug in the Shuttle, windows tells me this:
That it can run faster if i plug it into a super-speed usb 3.0 port. But i only have 1 usb 3.0 port.. so what usb 3.0 port is it referring to?

Mike Squires

Re: Black Magic Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 question

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 9:26 pm

Two things:

1. Are you absolutely sure you are plugging it in to the USB 3.0 port? Normally, that port is the color blue, to differentiate from USB 2.0 ports (which are normally black).

2. Maybe see if you can use the updated firmware/drivers from this page (I'm not sure the exact model number of your Reneas chip):

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/renesas.htm

EDIT:
Also, did you install the Media Express (Blackmagic Desktop) software first, reboot, and then plug in the device?

Jone Oma

PostThu Sep 06, 2012 10:08 pm

1. Yes. Its the one that has the letters "USB 3.0" next to it and is blue yes.

2. What firmware/drivers would that be? I am pretty sure i have the latest ones (driver 2.1.36.0 firmware 3034) If not, would you be able to give me a direct link to the ones you want me to try?

And 3. Yes i have rebooted my computer many times since i installed Media Express.

Mike Squires

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 2:12 am

1. The link I posted has the newest drivers and firmware, though you may already have it, since I don't know the model of your chip.

2. Uninstall the drivers for the Intensity Shuttle via Device Manager. Uninstall all Blackmagic software. Reboot. Install the Blackmagic Desktop Video software. Reboot. Plug in the Intensity Shuttle, let it install the drivers, and then see if it works.

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 3:40 am

Hi Jone,

To first clarify, from the install disc, you only need to install the Desktop Video driver. The other software installations are for products other than the Intensity Shuttle. We include a singular installation disc with all of our products. The Desktop Video version on the disc might be older than the current version available, and we always recommend if possible to visit our website and download the latest driver. At the time of this posting, the current Windows version is 9.6.1.

In regards to your Renesas firmware and driver version, based upon the screen shot you posted, it does look like you're up to date on that. However, I will note that though we recommended an NEC/Renesas USB 3.0 controller, this is not an absolute guarantee that our USB 3.0 products will work on your system. There are other factors involved that could cause snags. On our minimum system requirements for the Intensity Shuttle, you'll notice that the motherboards we recommend for onboard USB 3.0 are of the X58 variety. This is because these motherboards did the best job of implementing USB 3.0 in terms of things like bandwidth. We're currently looking into other newer motherboards that do as well of a job with USB 3.0.

Because you are seeing a pop-up about your device performing faster, I would be willing to bet that the onboard USB 3.0 ports on your system do not supply the necessary bandwidth to run the Intensity Shuttle. In a number of cases, if the onboard USB 3.0 controller is not sufficient, you can install a separate USB 3.0 add-on PCIe card. We do recommend sticking with the NEC chipset on these add-on cards. Generally these cards are relatively inexpensive. For more information about add-on cards, you can view the minimum system requirements page and in the USB 3.0 FAQ on our Support page (just input the Intensity Shuttle USB 3.0 as the product you're inquiring about).

I hope this helps.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Jone Oma

PostFri Sep 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Thanks for the reply Sarah Jones! Would you be able to offer some advice on what too look for when buying a pci-usb 3.0 card?

Would this one, for example, work? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PCI-E-USB-3-0 ... 41686de892

What should i look for when searching for a usb 3.0 pci card? Should i just search for "Usb 3.0 NEC"? I hope this broad question is possible to answer :)

Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

PostTue Sep 11, 2012 12:52 am

Having not seen that particular USB 3.0 expansion card in action, I couldn't say with any amount of certainty if it would work or not. In regards to what to look for in a card, from our USB 3.0 FAQ page, we say:

The USB 3.0 expansion card should meet the following criteria:
* x4 lane PCI Express. This card can be fitted in a x4 lane or faster slot in any supported series of motherboard. We recommend the Asus U3S6.
* x1 lane PCI Express 2.0. This card can be fitted in a x1 lane or faster PCI Express 2.0 slot in any supported series of motherboard. We recommend the Gigabyte GA-USB3 and the Shintaro USB 3.0 PCIe expansion card.

On some motherboards, it may be necessary to enable PCI Express 2.0 for 1 lane PCIe slots in the BIOS to ensure full bandwidth is available to the PCI Express 2.0 slots.

Make sure your USB 3.0 card is installed in a PCIe slot connected to the North Bridge. This will ensure full bandwidth is being provided to your card. If you see the image of your Blackmagic output flashing, this would be a good indication that your USB 3.0 card is not running at full bandwidth.

A good search time might be "NEC USB 3.0 PCI Express card" or similar.

Hope this helps.
Sarah Jones

Blackmagic Design

Return to Post Production