ISO with RAW footage

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

James McDonagh

ISO with RAW footage

PostMon Mar 19, 2018 3:46 pm

Hey guys,

I thought it was possible when working with RAW files to change the ISO in different parts of the image but I haven't been able to find out how online? For example, is it possible to have an ISO 200 foreground and ISO 800 background etc?

Ryan Payne

Re: ISO with RAW footage

PostWed Mar 21, 2018 1:41 am

I don't believe this is possible. There's no way for the camera or resolve to know what is foreground and what is background. You can adjust high, low and mids manualy though but nothing that would know what background and foreground is in your image.

To adjust the entire images raw settings, in the color tab there's a little tab in the left corner for camera settings. Select clip from the drop down and it should let you change iso.

JPOwens

Re: ISO with RAW footage

PostThu Mar 22, 2018 3:42 pm

James McDonagh wrote:Hey guys,
possible to have an ISO 200 foreground and ISO 800 background etc?

You're starting to venture into HDR-ish rendition -- and a few systems offer a "high" and "low" exposure image-pair that you then stitch back together -- and it sometimes works, and then other times it looks seamy.

Typically, we're back to trying to qualify the bright and dark areas with a key discrimination -- success in that is determined by how noisy and compressed the source image is. Think about this. Today's colorists are being asked on a clip-by-clip basis to pull keys on images that were never intended to be, and at a quality level consistent with a well-planned greenscreen.

And when that doesn't work, the edges glitter, we're asked to track and roto whatever is being waved around... basically on the spot, realtime. Tick, tock. What's the holdup? I thought this was the world's best... whatever... the guys up the street told me... something...

jPo, CSI

Return to Post Production