Setting up Video Monitor using HDMI > SDI 6G converter

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

Grogshla

Setting up Video Monitor using HDMI > SDI 6G converter

PostFri Mar 23, 2018 3:12 am

Hi there,

I have just purchased a new PC and downloaded the latest version of Premiere Pro.

I have 2 questions which I can't figure out and really need some help:

1) I am currently running a dual screen setup but want to add my JVC Video output monitor as a grading/video monitor (3rd monitor).

At work I have this setup with the Mac and it is great. The Mac is powering 2 screens via HDMI and then feeds a thunderbolt out into an AJA Converter (thunderbolt to sdi) which then feeds the SDI into the VIdeo monitor.

How do I set up this at my home can you please tell me how to configure and select the monitor within the Premiere Pro software.

2) Problem 2 relates to Windows 10 and running the 3 screens simultaneously. I am using a GTX 1080 Graphics card which has 1x hdmi, 1x dvi and 3x display ports.

I currently am running 2 samsung monitors via the following methods (DVI from my computer to the 1st monitor) & (DP from my computer to a DP>DVI adapter, then into the 2nd monitor). This setup is fine. Premiere and windows works fine.

HOWEVER....

When trying to connect my video monitor I encounter problems.

I have purchased a Black Magic Mini converter (HDMI > SDI 6G) I was intending to use this in a similar way to how I operate at work. This would be to take a HDMI feed from my computer and run it into the Black Magic Converter, then to take the SDI feed out of the converter and put it into the back of the JVC video monitor. The issue I face is that when I plug the HDMI cable into the PC so I can use the converter I lose my taskbar and mouse operation in Windows. Now this only happens when the converter is running with its power supply. If I simply plug an open ended HDMI cable into the back of the PC or have the converter plugged in but not running power everything remains ok.

To run a further test I took out one of the normal monitors. This setup is (DVI to DVI monitor) and then the (HDMI to Converter then SDI to video monitor). This ALSO made the taskbar and mouse dissapear. I am thinking this issue is related to the Black Magic converter? But how?

We use the AJA T TAp converter at work to split the thunderbolt signal to SDI but because my computer at home is a PC I don't have thunderbolt only HDMI or DP out.

Can anyone help or shed any insight into this?

Kind Regards

Return to Post Production