Teranex HDMI to SDI converter 4K sharpness issue.

Do you have questions about Desktop Video, Converters, Routers and Monitoring?
  • Author

jimbohsu

Teranex HDMI to SDI converter 4K sharpness issue.

PostTue Apr 03, 2018 10:32 pm

Hi All,
Question regarding the Teranex HDMI to SDI converter. If I have 4K signal coming in from HDMI, will the SDI output be "TRUE" 4K output? I then feed the SDI output into the Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI for 3D lut management.

4K HDMI signal >>>> Teranex HDMI to SDI >>>>> Teranex SDI to HDMI for 3D lut management >>> LG 4K TV.

I am seeing sharpness falloff when I do that versus plugging in the HDMI directly into TV. Any thoughts? Does the HDMI to SDI convert it down then backup somehow? The box says UltraHD up conversion... which kind of worries me. Please help!

Thanks,

Xtreemtec

Re: Teranex HDMI to SDI converter 4K sharpness issue.

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 11:50 am

Depends on your settings.. There is a dipswitch setting that will allow Downscaling on the mini converters..

Also HDMI > SDI > HDMI is not really recommended. It should sustain all information as it is quite 1:1 signal conversion.. But thumb rule is that every conversion will make the signal worse..

What happens if you switch off the LUT ?
Check if the SDI output is 4K (6G sdi or HD-sdi)
And check if the monitor receives 4K or 1080HD. ** Menu > Signal Info
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

jimbohsu

PostWed Apr 04, 2018 7:10 pm

Thanks for the response. Switching off/on the LUT doesn't seem to affect quality as I have generated a pretty high quality 33x33 cube lut. Due to the current setup, I am pretty limited to this video path unless there is a 4K 3D Lut HDMI box available with affordable price. Anyone know any brand out there that does 4K and HDMI? Not sure why Blackmagic hasn't release a 4K HDMI input/output version yet. Thoughts?

Erik Wittbusch

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 7:01 am

I uee the SDI out of my Mini Monitor 4k and feed that to the Teranex Mini. The Teranex holds the LUT and feeds my client display with HDMI in UHD res. All fine...

Andrew Kolakowski

PostThu Apr 05, 2018 6:24 pm

jimbohsu wrote:Hi All,
Question regarding the Teranex HDMI to SDI converter. If I have 4K signal coming in from HDMI, will the SDI output be "TRUE" 4K output? I then feed the SDI output into the Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI for 3D lut management.

4K HDMI signal >>>> Teranex HDMI to SDI >>>>> Teranex SDI to HDMI for 3D lut management >>> LG 4K TV.

I am seeing sharpness falloff when I do that versus plugging in the HDMI directly into TV. Any thoughts? Does the HDMI to SDI convert it down then backup somehow? The box says UltraHD up conversion... which kind of worries me. Please help!

Thanks,

SDI to HDMI (with LUT or without) should not touch sharpness. You need to make sure your pipeline does keep UHD resolution- you may be getting just HD signal which your TV scales to its UHD panel.

Return to Post Production